Doing Skype/audio/video without looking like a dork

lawyervon

Registered
I Skype and I do audio and video iChats on my MacBookPro. I really need to use an external mic/headset setup of some sort just for clarity of the audio. I bought a big Plantronics USB headset with boom mike, and although the sound is great, I feel and look like a dork on video.

I'd prefer to go wireless, and I've tried using my Bluetooth headset for this purpose, which would be IDEAL, but I seem to get a degradation in my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard signals when I use a Bluetooth headset to run audio alongside. Seems like the Bluetooth just gets overwhelmed or something, and I start getting bad audio or suddenly can't control the Mac with the keyboard or mouse.

Any suggestions on a configuration that's preferably wireless but with solid audio, but if not, is at least minimalist instead of this whole two-ear full headphones and boom mike look?

How about some iPod headphones and your MacBook Pro's built-in mic cranked all the way up?

Or, possibly, more apathy towards what you look like onscreen.

The iPod headphones might work, but I really don't want to do the internal mic thing 'cause I feel like I'm just yelling. I'd prefer a real mic up close to my face so I can speak more normally.

If you care enough, you could buy an external USB bluetooth adaptor that would allow you more bandwidth, hence the ability to use your bluetooth headset in conjunction with your keyboard and mouse.

I'm now officially confused. I think I must be missing an understanding of the stock Mac Bluetooth capabilities or limitations or something.

These adapters appear to be the adapters you use on your computer when you don't have Bluetooth installed in your computer. So, what good would it do to have one when I already have Bluetooth installed. Is there some limitation to the Mac Bluetooth that comes stock that these adapters overcome?

I'm going on assumptions, but you told me that your MacBook Pro's built-in bluetooth was being overtaxed. My suggestion eliminates this problem by allowing the built-in bluetooh and an external device to function at the same time. I think it would work... you ought to do some research yourself, though.

You want to use your keyboard, mouse, and headset wirelessly at the same time. You're either going to have to eliminate one of them (I'd recommend just using the built-in keyboard and turning your external one off), or you're going to have to expand your available bandwidth.

Oh, so you think you can run 2 different Bluetooth adapters -- the internal and an external -- at once? Never thought of that. Ever seen something that leads you to believe this is possible? In my mind, you could only have one Bluetooth adapter running at one time, but maybe I'm just thinking wrong.

Haha, this has turned into a bit of a curiosity... hmm. If I had the means to test it myself, I would.

Back