Don't advertise OSX, We lost

masternew

Mac Freek
Well as you know today was the launching of XP, and already the ads are all over the TV. It is a TOTAL RIPOFF!!, the do a demo that is almost exact as an iMovie. Now if Apple starts to advertise people will think that we are the ones ripping M$ucks OS.
I know this post might not make a lot of sense, but between the Rum and the Rage:mad:. I would appreciate someone tell me I'm wrong, please a good argument;)

I haven't heard a single windows user - even the fanatics - say that they like Movie Maker. I have heard several say they wish they had iMovie. :D

** pours the man another glass of Rum **
Nope you are right,
apple should have gone advertise crazy with OS X, but apple is not like M$. M$ can advertize an incomplete OS as something new, innovative and as something as cool and that people should absolutelly, positivelly, 100000% have. Apple's product is not complete, (no software ever is but anyway) but they are not such liars as to blatantly lie to make us buy it.

Movie maker is the biggest piece of sh*t their is, even the version with XP, Xp sucks too I know because I have it, it compares nothing [obviously to OS X] iMovie is one of the most amazing programs, dont worry, Apple is working hard, and doing a nice job I might add to advertise its programs and hardware with the retail stores. I have been in the Glendale store many times and it is always packed. I have also talk to numerous Windows users in the store that are ditching Windows and moving to Apple. As soon as they get into the store their jaws drop and they are in utter shock of the capabilities of Apple computers and software. :)

YOu know there is one thing (of many) that suprises me about M$...
How come they did not try to make threir own proprietary version of FLASH :p he he he :p

Admiral I hope YOU are right, with so many b*llsh*tters we got here, I hope at least you are right. you are probaly not. Apple should advertise.

Oh oh, too much Venezuelan RUM.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
YOu know there is one thing (of many) that suprises me about M$...
How come they did not try to make threir own proprietary version of FLASH :p he he he :p

they have, it's called VML.

but Apple vs Microsoft. Say everyone around you that you're so happy with OS X, cuz it's in fact the *best OS ever done*, but also cuz it's also the only solid mass alternative to the Microsoft dominion.

...assuming you have a Mac. Otherwise there really is no solid mass alternative.

I think the licensing alone will put XP down. That system is bullshit- I'll be surprised if they don't change the licensing scheme. Grrr... the entire thing reeks of licensed application usage- ie. pay per launch software. I'll be damned if I do that. I dig NTFS though...

On VML... what is it ? It must not be THAT successful that we havent heard about it being part of the all mighty XP :p

On licensing... hahaha @ pay-per-launch ;) Billy gates will probably make Windows TE next (Windows Terminal)... it will be like AOL, but on a windows version, no local HD no nothing, all is in M$'s hands :p

I think that if those OS could talk,

OS X would say: "So good to be me..."

The other sh.. of XP, which is basically just 2000 with better graphics rendering for the games would just say: "Why do they did this to me ...??"
Before 2000, has a "professional" look means "complicated, you got to be pro to use me", now it's just a bag of lollipop....

Thanks to Microsoft to make us laugh every day that god's make

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
On VML... what is it ? It must not be THAT successful that we havent heard about it being part of the all mighty XP :p

Vector Markup Language... well, IE for the PC supports it natively... and I think that the mac version does too. Anyway, it's syntax is remarkedly like SVG - XML tag based, what not. Actually been out since 1999.

never said it was successful, but... it exists. :rolleyes:

I think the real reason why Apple hasnt advertised much is due to the one of its strongest assets. Its extremely loyal user base.

It knows that its users have been anticipating OS X for quite some time (dust off my calendar a bit, ah, here it is) sorry folks my calendar doesnt date to before the time of copland!

As far as attracting new users, they know an OS alone will not justify higher priced hardware sales. so they are better investing their money into getting people into the apple stores and trying to enlighten them to conversion there.

all of this is IMHO of course. :D

Actually I don't think it's a good time to advertise OSX. Should wait until January

Reasons:
1) OSX, WinXP....people-especially to those average joes and novices-will get confused with both. If Apple is releasing kick-ass TV ads those people will think "Hey, is that the new Windows?" ...in other words, launching OSX commercials will HELP Microsoft rather than Apple itself....know what I mean?

2) Not enough critical applications running natively under X. Office, Photoshop, even Apple's own pro apps!:mad:

3) Once people tried XP and feel mad about it....it will be a better time for Apple to advertise OS X. When people are mad it's a lot easier to be convinced to look for alternative....maybe I am not totally right but at least I am those type of people ;)

Right now M$ is throwing $250 million at their advertising campaign for WinXP.

I would much rather Apple put money towards R&D than an advertising campaign.

If we are going to have the Apple *appliances* that we all dream of, then the Cupertino boys have to pump some steam into the R&D department.

FaRuvius
=====================
"If you build it, they will come"

I think a marketing campaign targetted at windows or linux users that may have used a Mac in the past and found it too unstable would do well. Let folks who haven't tried a mac in a year (or years) know the OS is entirely new, and for *nix fans, that it has a fancy BSD core.

BTW, Apple's current, "Think different" campaign should actually be "Think differently" :eek: - especially if they're in the education market.

all we can do is keep showing wintel users are tyte OS. every pc user i've shown my OS to wants a mac now. two of them bought one. fortunately, wintel users aren't as stubborn as we are, in fact, most of them hate microsoft because it's the trendy thing to do (and then buy some microsoft products). show people how cool the dock is, minimize and maximize windows while they're in the room. play a quicktime movie and minimize it into the dock and watch it in there while they're hanging around. plug in your digital camera or printer and laugh to yourself about how amazing it is that there are little/no drivers needed at all. surf to the apple website and watch the ipod commercial while they're in the room. if you've got an isub, put it on the table instead of on the ground. brag about how long your computer's been on (16 days straight for me, and no hitches). this is the best marketing available.
so go do it!

see ya later, crocodile.
Oo boi o.

Originally posted by boi
all we can do is keep showing wintel users are tyte OS. every pc user i've shown my OS to wants a mac now. two of them bought one. fortunately, wintel users aren't as stubborn as we are, in fact, most of them hate microsoft because it's the trendy thing to do (and then buy some microsoft products). show people how cool the dock is, minimize and maximize windows while they're in the room. play a quicktime movie and minimize it into the dock and watch it in there while they're hanging around. plug in your digital camera or printer and laugh to yourself about how amazing it is that there are little/no drivers needed at all. surf to the apple website and watch the ipod commercial while they're in the room. if you've got an isub, put it on the table instead of on the ground. brag about how long your computer's been on (16 days straight for me, and no hitches). this is the best marketing available.
so go do it!

see ya later, crocodile.
Oo boi o.
Ahhh, life is sweet for us macers...but I won't be doing much bragging for a while. The dock buggs me cause it's new, the options are moved, so thei'll hear me cussing at it, I haven't got an iSub, any iSticks or even those round things. To top it all off, I can't keep it on due to my lack of RAM(what kind works in new G4s?)...only got 128...oh well, I'll just brag about my see-through mouse and my faster-than-pentium4-processor.

Back