Don't call it "G5"

voice-

Registered
There was one thing bugging the hell out of me in the G4 era, and that was people referring to PowerMac G4 as simply "G4". Let's try to avoid that confusion when G5 PBs come around by simply calling the desktop PowerMac G5 instead of just G5...

c'mon voice - if someone has the option to type G5 or PowerMac G5, which do you think they'll opt for?

Voice, do you know what people mean when they say "My G3" or "My G4" or "My G5?" You're not easily going to get millions of people to suddenly change their way of thinking about this, so I'd say it's probably pointless to pursue. Pursue at your own risk, I should say.

when i refer to my computer, i say: my Mirrored Dual Disc Drive™ DDR Dual G4™ Now With Altivec™ and the Biggest Heatsink on This Side of the Galaxy™

Hmm... Usually, PowerBook people tend to _SAY_ that they're talking about a PowerBook, while PowerMac people don't. So, where's the problem? See a 'G5', think desktop machine. Until the person's talking about notebook issues, that is.

Referring to PowerMac G5 as simply "G5" is my constitutional right :). Open up the G5 case and what do you see? One big letter "G" and one big number "5"... let's not quibble over semantics.

Originally posted by fryke
Hmm... Usually, PowerBook people tend to _SAY_ that they're talking about a PowerBook, while PowerMac people don't. So, where's the problem? See a 'G5', think desktop machine. Until the person's talking about notebook issues, that is.

Exactly. When mentioning G4 or G5 99% of the time they are referring to the PowerMac, while with PowerBooks they mention the laptop name specifically.

Back