Dont Install Tiger ifm you Use Epson Products

filmdesign

Registered
Basically there are no drivers for 10.4 Tiger so they do not work. Epson says they are testing 10.4 drivers but give no timeline as to when we may be able to use our many millions of Epson products with the latest version of the OS-X software..Seems like bad customer support or bad communication with Apple or poor planning by someone at Epson because this will be a huge inconveinience to a lot of users (future customers?, maybe) The Gimp print does not work with my computer:
Powerbook G4/80GBHD/1500MHZ/2GBRAM/OS10.4
Lucky I have my Canon i70 or I would not be able to work
If you need to print with an Epson printer, DO NOT INSTALL TIGER!

I agree, Not an Apple problem. Epson all the way, a shame as Apple customers have been very loyal epson customers. Remember Netscape and there disregard for Apple customers during a certain Version Upgrade? .....me Neither!
I Think I'll check out a 1280 replacement tomorrow. The 1280 was getting a little long in the ooth anyway. Any recommends anyone
I print mostly High Quality Phot Prints
Thanks.

... Wha?!?

So, the OS comes with no Epson drivers?

Has anybody tried old printer drivers with the new OS? Do they still work?

:p ... and I wanted to upgrade some time soon.

um... my C80 works fine (only issue i have had was it adding parentheses after every word. but that only happened once)

I distinctly remember seeing an Epson option under the Printer Drivers section of the Tiger installer (I remember disabling them all, because man! those printer drivers take up a helluva lot of disk space!). Do these drivers simply not work? If they don't, then that's definitely Apple's fault, since they included them in the installer.

I do have an Epson printer. However, I've never bothered hooking it up (still need a USB cable).

Well, I have an Epson printer as well. Did a clean install, the printer was detected without problems, and it prints without problems with me. I don't need drivers as the machine already works.

i had tons of problems with my C46 under panther - it's just not supported full stop. i use GIMP drivers to get it working fine, and it's tranferred those across for tiger. except i did a clean install.... so they can't have done.... i have no idea, but i've been printing all week like a trooper. crap printer, mind

there was something like 584MB worth of Epson drivers in the full install. I may not be exactly right on the number, but it was more than 500MB of drivers for epson. I know b/c i deselected it so it wouldn't install. I remember epson having the largest amount of drivers out of all of the printers listed.

I have an Epson 925. Didn't even have to add it, it was in the Print Utility automatically, and prints fine. Also shares ok over wireless in Tiger.

I have an Epson 740i printer and a Epson 2450 Perfection Scanner. Both actually work great with Tiger! The printer seemed obvious, but based on Epson's track record I really didn't expect Epson Scan to work (also have Vue Scan - great app!), but it actually did work, though it needed a restart after I installed it. It even works with the slide holder. Maybe I shouldn't post this - Epson may read it and feel updated drivers aren't needed for my products! :)

My Epson C86 prints better than ever. I see that Apple put in the Gimp-Print 5.0.0-beta drivers. 4.2.5 didn't even have a driver for the C86.

Whew. Most printers work. Freakin' A. I was scared, 'cause Epson printers are all we have at my parents' house.

I have an Epson flatbed scanner and I can scan out of the box without any drivers in ImageCapture. Pretty sweet.

Small sample, but if I were Epson and read this thread I would think my Mac customers were important!

Epson has terrible support for their products ever since Mac OS X 10.0 was released. Many of the drivers for scanners and printers are in alpha still and we all know that isn't good. I would ban the company from the Mac platform but people would still be willing to buy one. :rolleyes:

Back