dont know what im doing

storozuk60

Registered
ok im sure this question has been asked, but im new to mac just got my macbook today, have had pc for years. i looked to find the answer to my question but dont even know what im looking for. i have the mac os x10 and here is my problem. i downloaded and installed (at least i think i installed them) two programs, skype and msn messenger for mac. the problem is it created some type of icon on the desktop that will not go away. if i click on it it opens another window with 2 objcts if i click on the first one the program opens, the other is a short cut to the applications folder. and this has done it to me for both skype and msn messenger. they also appear in the dock where i want them, and as well the download manager thing in the doc keeps listing the .dmg files for both of these programs i try deleting them into the trash but it says i cannot delete them, something along those lines. if any one can help me i would love it as im loving the mac so far but not likeing these icons stuck on my desktop. thank you all in advance.
(oh and by the way dont have much time to search posts as well as im working with the military in qatar, and access is limited) thanks again

Normally when you download a OS X program, it is distributed as a .dmg file. Those files are disk images (you can make your own with Disk Utility), that when opened work like any other disk. Safari (and most other web browsers) open the disk image automatically when downloaded, but you can open it by clicking the file.

Also normally the programs are distributed by the .app file, which is the program itself. You drag and drop the file to Applications folder and then use it. Some distributions have also a file called Applications. It is actually an alias to the real Applications folder, so you can drag and drop the .app file there.

Once you have installed the program, close the disk image, drag and drop it to the trash can. If the program works fine, you can also drag and drop the .dmg file.

In OS X, you uninstall the program by dragging the .app file from tha Applications folder to the trash can.

Then taketh thyself to Amazon or Addall books: http://www.addall.com/ and get the Missing Manual for OS 4--Tiger.

It is a couple of bucks and will ship to you. It will take you through all that is Mac. The same author has handbooks for switching from PC to Mac as well. I recommend the Tiger one since the Leopard is much more expensive, and the differences are not that significant.

--J.D.

P.S. Blofeld: Right idea, Bond.

Bond: Wrong pussy.

Last edited:
Dump the MSN Messenger because it doesn't work half the time. Most Mac users use the free AdiumX or another third party application.

The book you want is either OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual or Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition. You will learn a lot from either of these easy to use, funny & informative (with pictures). I almost guarantee that you will find most of your answers in either of these books.

To network a Mac to a Vista box read the article Sharing files between a Windows Vista Home Edition PC and a Mac running OS X Leopard 10.5. To get a Mac on a Windows Domain (usually work domains) bookmark the page MacWindows.com. To see all the software for a Mac bookmark the pages Version Tracker and MacUpdate. To hack your Mac read the pages MacOSXHints and Accelerate Your Macintosh (with their excellent Drive search lasso).

For more web site search for forum links because their are some threads with people's favorite web sites.

Last edited:
What I am suggesting is that if $ is an issue--the one for Tiger is good enough for a beginner he does not have to go to the Panther version--which is about $20.

I have the old original OS X Missing Manual and that sells for a few bucks now. Anything in between meets the range. Anyways, for a beginner these books will serve him well.

--J.D.

thanks for all the help have gotten them both installed and removed from the desktop. finding that is mac is very easy to use just have to get used to it. and thanks for the suggestions on the books ill have to look into that.

I you ever want to get onto a Windows Domain there are a few steps;

1. Use the same automatic time server as the Windows domain server. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! In OS X open System Preferences->Date & Time and turn on Automatic Time syncing and point it to the same NTP server (Network Time Server) manually as the Domain server is pointing to.

2. Open System Preferences->Network - The "Advanced" button and when the drop down comes down click on the WINS tab and put in your workgroup information.

3. Open System Preferences->Sharing pane. Highlight File Sharing then click on 'Options' and that drop down will have a SMB check box you need to check.

Back