Doom and gloom

gravy

Registered
With Intel and AMD coming out with chips that run well over 2GHz on motherboards with a FSB of 400MHz and 333Mhz respectively, how can Apple compete with this hardware. Apple motherboards don't even support DDR memory yet. True, Apple has been pretty quiet. I'm sure they are hatching some new product for combat, but at what point do they stopped getting kicked in the pants. Use AMD or Intel processors–save the end-user some money and put the end-users' mind to rest. We have all heard the megahertz myth but the general public doesn't buy it. Stay silicon independent and focus on cool boxes and the OS. Apple has already proven they can sell boxes just cause they have a great OS.

When you bought a Mac you knew that even though it came at a premium, you had the best hardware money could buy. The quality of the box is certainly not in question – Apple hardware does seem to last longer. Apple wised up not too long ago with SCSI, I'm just wondering how long it will take for memory/motherboard architecture.

With OSX running on Intel processors what's stopping them–except for developers, but we save that topic for later.

We already have literally hundreds of these type of threads. No need to start more. Use the "search" option at the top and look for "x86" or "intel" or "amd" and I'm sure you'll find one with many reasons Apple doesn't switch to x86 architecture. It's just not going to happen.

I'm just pointing out that there are many threads on this topic and all of theme show the reasons why it simply isn't going to happen. There are always rumors saying that it might happen, but we're pretty sure it just simply won't happen due to many things I don't want to have to post again. So just do a search and read away :)

Pay no attention to him. He has a valid point.
Excessive pronoun use. Pay no attention to who? Who has a valid point? Pay no attention to him because he has a valid point?

:confused:

"Pay no attention to him. He has a valid point."

Was refering to myself. ..whether or not gramatically correct, I haven't the slightest and honestly don't care.

Just some constructive criticism (Intel/AMD architecture). No my thoughts are probably not unique, but if several other thread starters have talked about the same thing maybe it just validates what I have to say. Apple has developed OSX to run on processors other than Motorola.

My main point here is Apple is slipping on memory/motherboard architecture. I could really give a rip what hardware manufacturer they use as long as the best possible product is manufactured. Currently, they could have a better motherboard/memory/processor configuration. People buy Macs because they are fast, have a great GUI, and easy to use–why not make them even faster with a faster system bus and memory.

gravy: Please read the other threads about this.

The main point of the problem is that 90% of the applications that run on Mac OS X now would just not run if put on the Intel platform. Apple can't risk something like that, so it's not going to happen, no matter how much you complain here.

Was refering to myself. ..whether or not gramatically correct, I haven't the slightest and honestly don't care.
Didn't mean to sound like the grammar Nazi. I don't care if posts are grammatically correct either -- I just didn't understand what you were trying to say...

Oh and what simX said. :p

Back