Download a file from a PC

jsn

Registered
Hi all

I need to download a 30megas file located in a windows XP, conencted to the internet with a DSL. I have a mac os x.

I would like to know what software could I use to do this transfert.

thanks
jsn

There are ways to connect to XP from your Mac to access files over the net such as remote access and other ways. The Windows machine would need file sharing an open port to access the machine and you would need to have the machines IP address etc (eg h**p: //192.203.169.1 which changes on every machine) There are plenty of people here who could guide you through this procedure or

another way is if you use this site http://www.up4world.com/ to upload the file from the XP machine then it will give you a link to download to the Mac

Is there a way to share a folder over the net?

Can I do a ftp to the other computer?

Do I need to set up something to allow an ftp to my mac os x?

thanks
jsn

Either the Windows XP system or the Mac need an ftp server. Then you can use an ftp client to download from or upload to the ftp server. Sharing a folder over the internet is possible but risky or troublesome. The best (easiest) option is to upload the file to an internet server and to download to your mac.

For a Windows-based FTP file server, I recommend FileZilla Server. I use it at my work for storing and accessing gzipped images made with G4U, an open source drive cloning utility (kind of like Ghost).

As for the Mac side, I would use what's already built-in to Mac OS X for FTP serving if you want to use the Mac as an FTP server.

Neat trick I leaned on this board a while back is to use gmail's 1gigabyte storage. There's slick script written that I have on my desktop.

I drag and drop a file onto it, it automatically uploads to gmail, then I can access it from anywhere by logging into my gmail account.

And it's all free!

Let me know if you need a gmail account.

jsn, send me your current email address. You can either post here or PM me.

Be forewarned, I'm blocked from private emails at work, so I won't be able to send you your gmail sign-up until this evening.

Back