Download of MWNY for saving?

Oscar Castillo

Registered
Is there any way to download any MW for playback at a later time. I do have Quicktime 6 Pro, which allows me to save, but seems that for MWNY it doesn't work.

That's because the MWNY keynote video is a streaming video, which is not supposed to be downloaded.

I can't offer a solution for you, though. Sorry.

arrgh...I remember there is SOME way of doing it, but I don't remember how... It has something to do with opening up a QT pointer file that is downloaded when you click "watch now" at the web site in a text editor, copying the URL from it and downloading it through a web browser...can't remember exactly though...you could try looking it up on another forum maybe...

Here's how I save embedded quicktime movies in a browser, it might also work for this:

Go to the page that has the picture that you click on to launch the streaming movie into quicktime. View the source of the page. It is an option in the view menu, i believe. Do a search for the filetype, which is in the case mp4. So press Apple-F and type "mp4", keep searching through until you find what looks like a web adress to the streaming file.

Paste this address into the adress bar at the top of the screen, the movie should load in a blank window if correct. Tehn, when the movie has finished loading, press save as, in the file menu.

This video is NOT an embedded QuickTime movie file. This is a QuickTime STREAM. There is no way that you will be able to find a reference link that downloads the whole video -- it is all streaming from a QuickTime server.

The only way you could possibly capture the video is with Snapz Pro X. Of course, it doesn't let you capture sound, and you might as well watch the video then because you have to allow Snapz Pro X to sit through the entire movie.

Somebody swiped the Will Ferrell switch commercial off the MWNY QT stream and converted it to MPEG4 so obviously it's possible.

simX, I know what you are trying to say with the streaming vs. file question...but I could have sworn that it was possible by finding the right link in a text file that is d/l'ed somehow... and like azosx said, it must somehow be possible right? unless someone used Snapz Pro and a microphone? (hey, some people have WAY too much time on these boards :) )
I mean, the stream IS a file from Apple's servers, but just presented as a stream instead of a file download, so couldn't you theoretically d/l that file?

Well, it could of just easily been swiped from the MP4 version of MWNY and not converted, which still makes it possible to capture all or parts based on the Will Ferrell MP4 that's here. Just that I don't know the process. I tried looking in my browser cache for files and also with the Quciktime 6 Pro upgrade I got I also tried saving it, but it doesn't do it either. It's not a ghosted option, it's still an option to choose, but saves a small 4K or 12K file file instead.

Originally posted by azosx
Somebody swiped the Will Ferrell switch commercial off the MWNY QT stream and converted it to MPEG4 so obviously it's possible.

there's an app called "stream ripper" that lets you rip audio streams, I dunno if it works with movies or if there is a movie stream ripper though...

Oscar:
That 8-12 K file you downloaded MAY be the pointer file...try opening it in a hex editor or BBEdit or anything like that and maybe, just maybe...you will find a URL in there somewhere (unless Apple now encrypts or something them to discourage us from doing this...heh heh) which is the full MP4, non-streamed.
Also, maybe you could (if you know how) use a network analyzer like Etherpeek (only $1000, cheap! :) ) to detect what was happening/what the real URL is/etc.

Xaqintosh:
Stream Ripper only does audio unfortunately...you're a version tracker junkie and just read the descripton, I know it, don't even try to hide it! :p

Actually the functionality provided by Stream Ripper is redundant with iTunes v. 1 and 2, but with 3 it's gone...boo hoo... you could use the d/l'ed pointer file (those again :) ) as an "input source." I think the RIAA got to Apple recently...yuck

I opened the stream and saved it as a link. Then I opened it in TextEdit and found this link:

a1920.q.kamai.net/3/1920/1135/3d374559/1a1a1ae256c82d8efb299a0e84b21383f35fc4f255c43160c53ba00e82f5248e036f9e096ee755c4389d/mwny_300.mp4

I downloaded the 111 byte file and the QT player gave me an error.

I too looked at the file at got the same link as you, but you forgot to add the protocol at the beginning, else it will not start.

rtsp://a1920.q.kamai.net/3/1920/1135/3d374559/1a1a1ae256c82d8efb299a0e84b21383f35fc4f255c43160c53ba00e82f5248e036f9e096ee755c4389d/mwny_300.mp4

Still can't get it to save to disk. I know it's not officially supported in QT, but I figure there might be a way.

Originally posted by wdw_
I opened the stream and saved it as a link. Then I opened it in TextEdit and found this link:

a1920.q.kamai.net/3/1920/1135/3d374559/1a1a1ae256c82d8efb299a0e84b21383f35fc4f255c43160c53ba00e82f5248e036f9e096ee755c4389d/mwny_300.mp4

I downloaded the 111 byte file and the QT player gave me an error.

Xaqintosh: now that's even worse! :) downloading software just because it happens to have a cool description on VersionTracker and not even using it? You're worse than I am ;)!
(Actually, probably not-I used to download every editor's pick and barely even read the description, thinking "well, it's got to be good, and maybe I'll use it someday." So now I've got a bunch of old, probably great OS 9 shareware like Neatnik I never used hidden away on my poor stuffed OS 9 partition.)
Sorry for the cheap shot, I just remember those good old days when I was younger like you and had the time to check every free moment I got and find some new gem to satisfy that VT urge! (too bad VT charges for all the good stuff now...everyone seems to be charging for internet services these days...)

These links don't appear to work anymore since this evening. I did download the mpeg4 keynote this morning, but after telling a friend of mine about it. he tried, then I tried again this evening and they're not there.

Back