Downloaded flip4mac and get audio but no video.

ArinR

Registered
We have wmv files that are video tutorials that we have to download from schools website and we downloaded flip4mac from safari because before quicktime tried opening the files and it said it couldn't play those files. Now we can hear the videos play on the safari browser but can't see any video? Is there any other software we need to download? Also, I've tried playing them from firefox and internet ex. but neither worked? Any help would be great!

... Now we can hear the videos play on the safari browser but can't see any video? Is there any other software we need to download? Also, I've tried playing them from firefox and internet ex. but neither worked? Any help would be great!
Whenever you need help with a website, then you should post a link to the website. That said, getting audio without the video is a telltale sign of a .wmv file format that Flip4Mac can't handle. Flip4Mac is limited to WMV 9 and older. It is also unable to handle DRMed WMV of any version. Luckily, the advent of Flip4Mac has nearly halted the march of WMV10 and higher versions of the format. However, there are a few misbegotten souls out there who insist on WMV10, WMV11, or WMV12. For those, you have no choice but Windows.

So I'm assuming the teacher is using windows to post up things and thats why it won't play on this mac? Does Windows Media player do well on a macbook pro?

So I'm assuming the teacher is using windows to post up things and thats why it won't play on this mac? Does Windows Media player do well on a macbook pro?
I don't assume anything. Windows Media Player for Mac has not been developed for years and was abandoned by Microsoft a couple of years after that. Microsoft now officially endorses Telestream's Flip4Mac and hosts the free download on its own server. WMP supported Windows Media only up to WMV9. As I said before, Flip4Mac supports WMV only up through WMV9. Neither support any version of DRMed WMV.

BTW, Windows Media Player was a Java-based player that developed for a much earlier version of PPC-only MacOS X. Flip4Mac is designed for compatibility with Intel-based Macs running MacOS X 10.6. Do the math.

Arin,

I just wanted to state truth that FlipForMac IS available for PPC. I know this because i have a Sawtooth/AGP Dual 1.3Ghz w/ 1.5GB of RAM and I use FlipForMac all the time. I am not trying to be controversial but that post was incorrect and condescending. We are all here to learn and don't need to "Do the math"

Thanks

Custom Flash Drives

Back