Downloaded, Then Deleted Video Files - How To Make Sure I'm Safe? (is Malwarebytes Enough?)

Aiumu

Registered
Hello! Got this embarrassing issue

I'm usually careful, but got bit drunk and ended up downloading some naughty mp4 video files from direct download file upload site. And of course made copies and put them on external hard drive.

Come next day and hangover, cursed myself, deleted all videos from Mac and external hard drive.

Ran Malwarebytes, everything seems to be fine.

What else should I do (besides not getting drunk again...)?
The video files played all normally and were what I expected them to be.

1) Could I be infected? Will Malwarebytes find anything if there is anything to find?

2) Could my external drive and all my good normal files be infected? Could I infect other Mac systems with those files from external hard drive?

3) Could normally working mp4 video file contain something bad?

4) Could normally working mp4 video file leave something bad behind after I deleted it?

In short, how likely could my Mac and External Hard Drive be infected and would running Malwarebytes be enough to find everything if there is anything?

Many of us have done something embarrassing which makes us learn from our mistakes. It appears that you have done all the right steps. Malwarebytes did not find any problems, so you can breathe easy.
You should clear your browser history and cache. You probably should have an anti-virus installed (ClamXav is a good one). And check your download folder for the original downloaded files and trash it.

No, if Malwarebytes gave a clear report, you are clear. Your files are safe. Know that just because you downloaded an x rated clip does not mean your entire computer is infected with something. All your normally working mp4’s are safe. Computer viruses and malware do not jump or spread like a cold virus or bugs. Usually an infected file can be singled out and destroyed, but it does not spread to your other files. Usually. And chances are those videos you downloaded were just x rated videos with nothing more attached to it.

Many of us have done something embarrassing which makes us learn from our mistakes. It appears that you have done all the right steps. Malwarebytes did not find any problems, so you can breathe easy.
You should clear your browser history and cache. You probably should have an anti-virus installed (ClamXav is a good one). And check your download folder for the original downloaded files and trash it.

No, if Malwarebytes gave a clear report, you are clear. Your files are safe. Know that just because you downloaded an x rated clip does not mean your entire computer is infected with something. All your normally working mp4’s are safe. Computer viruses and malware do not jump or spread like a cold virus or bugs. Usually an infected file can be singled out and destroyed, but it does not spread to your other files. Usually. And chances are those videos you downloaded were just x rated videos with nothing more attached to it.

Thank you for your reply! :)

I actually have habit of always clearing my browser history and cache after every browsing session. When I was Windows using 14 year old kid, who had no one else to teach him how to use computer, I found out about tracking cookies and started nervously deleting cookies all the time. :D

So Malwarebytes really is the best thing for Mac there is, finding all malware/trojans/adware/bad things if there are anything to find?
I'm just Windows trauma survivor, who had to hide behind 4 different malware scanners and one real time protection. :D

Anti-virus... I see, I was given hard advice to keep those things away from Mac as much as possible. Always made me feel weird I don't have one. :D
ClamXav is Your advice? Any other names I should consider (Sophos etc)? I've seen AVAST offered, but it didn't impress me much in Windows.

On that note, I just heard about BitDefender in App Shop
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitdefender-virus-scanner/id500154009?mt=12

Any opinions? Would it be safer to have two scanners to use from time to time?
Is BitDefender safe or could it do something bad with my Mac? It's even in App Store so, respectable enough?

Check out the customer reviews to get a feel for those apps. The App store will show screen shots as well. You want an app that you can understand what each function does and you don’t want something that says it is free and ends up wanting to charge you for those definition updates or needed add ons.

While you want to make sure you are covered against all infections, you don’t want to go overboard. You don’t wash your hands using two or three different soaps at one washing.

There is a lot of controversy as to whether or not MACs need an anti-virus. Me personally would rather be safe than sorry. I chose to down/install, Avast (FREE VERSION) for MACs. A Mac friend of mine chose "ClamAV," which I had also used on my now retired, "LinuxMint," desktop (Also a precautionary THANG>>LOL), but CLAM is now only PAID for MACs, as far as I know, and my friend did say that ClamAV did once detect a virus on his machine. I run Avast just once per week, usually before signing off on Friday evening, and nothing detected so far, not even a PUP>>>WOOF :)

Check out the customer reviews to get a feel for those apps. The App store will show screen shots as well. You want an app that you can understand what each function does and you don’t want something that says it is free and ends up wanting to charge you for those definition updates or needed add ons.

While you want to make sure you are covered against all infections, you don’t want to go overboard. You don’t wash your hands using two or three different soaps at one washing.

Customer review from Chuck Ef says they have some issues... well, this is not reassuring. Malwarebytes has worked perfectly so far so maybe better not cause any headaches with more apps. :)

Again, thank you for the advice. I'm used that Windows files can spread to their neighbouring files. So in Mac, that is almost impossible? Just the 99.9% thing that we can never be sure someone has not written infected file that could spread to other files? But that 0.01% is near impossible and I'm overthinking things?

There is a lot of controversy as to whether or not MACs need an anti-virus. Me personally would rather be safe than sorry. I chose to down/install, Avast (FREE VERSION) for MACs. A Mac friend of mine chose "ClamAV," which I had also used on my now retired, "LinuxMint," desktop (Also a precautionary THANG>>LOL), but CLAM is now only PAID for MACs, as far as I know, and my friend did say that ClamAV did once detect a virus on his machine. I run Avast just once per week, usually before signing off on Friday evening, and nothing detected so far, not even a PUP>>>WOOF :)

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Back