Downloading From Safari

Jacksloadedgun

Registered
when downloading from safari is there anyway to set it so that certain file types go to different folders.

i would like it if i could send all my torrent files to a folder i have on my desktop labelled "torrents" and all other downloads (like dmgs) to the desktop it's self.

and ideas on how to do this?

Not that I know of, but it is possible to set a folder for all downloads to go to..

It may be possible to create an Automator script to accomplish this, but I don't have much experience with Automator.

Not that I know of, but it is possible to set a folder for all downloads to go to..

It may be possible to create an Automator script to accomplish this, but I don't have much experience with Automator.

i thought about the automator script too but i havce no experience with that what so ever, the only scripts i use are the ones i downlaoded from somewhere online.

Ok, I took a script from that page and cut out some stuff you didn't want. Note, I take no responsibility for that this script works the right way, doing no harm and such, but it seems to work as it should.

Open the script I attach in the Script editor in the Applescript folder in the application folder. Save the script in that program, put it in ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts.

To enable folder actions on your desktop, right click the desktop icon in your home directory, and click "enable folder actions". Then right click on the icon again and choose "attach a folder action", and choose the script you just saved.

Now everything should just work. As it is now, torrent files are moved into a "torrents" folder on the desktop. You can change the name by changing the "torrents" string in the script. Movie files are moved into a "movie" folder on your desktop, you can change that in the same way. Unfortunately I don't know how to make the movies go into your ~/Movies, as you wanted. I don't have time to check how to do that right now.

Of course you'd also need your web browser to download your files to the desktop by default. I guess that's what you wanted?
Good luck! Tell me if I got your requests wrong somehow.

I attach the script file. It seems script files aren't allowed, so the script file is zipped. You need to unzip it before you can use it.

Attachments

• move_torrents_movies.zip
    2 KB · Views: 4
Oh, and you can change the extensions that match torrents and movies by changing/adding extensions to the first two rows in the script:

property movie_extension_list : {"avi", "mov", "mpg"}
property torrent_extension_list : {"torrent"}

So if you want an "mpeg" extension to be matched as a movie, you just add it:

property movie_extension_list : {"avi", "mov", "mpg", "mpeg"}

Ok, I took a script from that page and cut out some stuff you didn't want. Note, I take no responsibility for that this script works the right way, doing no harm and such, but it seems to work as it should.

Open the script I attach in the Script editor in the Applescript folder in the application folder. Save the script in that program, put it in ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts.

To enable folder actions on your desktop, right click the desktop icon in your home directory, and click "enable folder actions". Then right click on the icon again and choose "attach a folder action", and choose the script you just saved.

Now everything should just work. As it is now, torrent files are moved into a "torrents" folder on the desktop. You can change the name by changing the "torrents" string in the script. Movie files are moved into a "movie" folder on your desktop, you can change that in the same way. Unfortunately I don't know how to make the movies go into your ~/Movies, as you wanted. I don't have time to check how to do that right now.

Of course you'd also need your web browser to download your files to the desktop by default. I guess that's what you wanted?
Good luck! Tell me if I got your requests wrong somehow.

I attach the script file. It seems script files aren't allowed, so the script file is zipped. You need to unzip it before you can use it.

that is exactly what i needed, i'll download it later when i get home.

thanks a lot for the help.

Back