Downloading Mp3 Files

PodCat

Registered
With 10.4.2 and QT4 Pro, I seem to have lost the ability to d/l an MP3 (like a podcast).

Using Safari or Netscape the file downloads (and can be played in QT4), but won't allow itself to be saved.

When I Save (either browser), I get the proper icon (an iTunes image) and file-name on the Desktop...but there's no file there...just a 4k icon.

I can still get mP3 files to downloadvia the iTunes tuner, but no longer via a browser.

This happens to me too, and it's really annoying. The way to get around it is to go back to the original link to the mp3, right click, or control click it, and in the menu, select "download linked file." Then it will download the whole file, not just the 4kb thing...

Control-clicking (Holding down Control and clicking the mouse) the mp3 file I'm after doesn't give me "download linked file"...in fact there's no such entry in my Safari File menu...what am I doing wrong? (Can't "right click" with the Apple mouse)

Ira

Btw., I doubt you're using QT4. ;)

You have to Ctrl-Click on the _link_ to the file, not the "file".

iPenguin said:
The way to get around it is to go back to the original link to the mp3, right click, or control click it, and in the menu, select "download linked file." Then it will download the whole file, not just the 4kb thing...

Or, for those lazy ones ( like me :D ) just "Option click" the link. Saves a keystroke or two and does the same thing.

--

Original poster: Are you sure you're downloading an actual file and not a link to a streaming file?

Sounds to me like a "Quicktime Reference" file is being downloaded. If there is a checkbox option beside "Make movie self-contained" in the "Save" dialog box, make sure it's checked.

Got it! Control-click opens a pulldown menu right at the cursor. "Download linked file" worked like a charm. Problem solved! Thank you!

Back