Downloading

bobb06810

Registered
In Windows, when you download a file, it ALWAYS asks where you want it to go (even if there is a default location, you can change the location) and you can change the file name if you wish to.

Most times it assigns the date of the download.

It then downloads, and when finished asks if you want to open the file.

However, with the Mac:
Very often you don't know it is even downloading until you see Downloads icon in the dock jump up and down.
Then if you go into Downloads it is not clear what the name of the file is, and the date is the date of the original file.
Some of the files automatically open themselves, others you need to find and click.

Is there a way to exercise the same control you get in Windows?

Thanks.

In Safari's Help menu, search for download, click on Show All Help Topics. They should answer most if not all of your questions.

By default your downloads are all saved to your home>Downloads folder. But You can easily change the default folder for downloads within your browers Preferences (command-comma)

In Both Safari and Firefox you'll find the option in the "General" Tab. I don't have Chrome on this Mac (I find the lack of menus VERY annoying) so I can't point you to it there....

Quick Summary:
So in both cases just press "Command+," And set to desired folder
Firefox: Firefox > Preferences... > General Tab (Save Files to)
Safari: Safari > Preferences... > General Tab ("Save Downloaded Files To")

Note:both browsers have the option in the same Tab to keep open the Downloads List Window. I highly recommend this if your screen has room since you can then access the files directly.

-------
IMPORTANT:
If you'd like to save a particular download somewhere else just right-click the the download's link and select "Save linked file As..." or something pretty similar. At this point you use the dialog box to choose a location.

HTH-xandra

Last edited:
Back