DP really means something

mindbend

Registered
In case anyone cares, I'm capturing a 45 minute DV video clip in the background while I browse the web and type this. I am impressed. I had no idea this was realistic to ask of this machine.

DP is for real. I also do a fair amount of After Effects rendering in the background and for the most part it doesn't interfere in the slightest with whatever other work I feel like doing in the foreground. Productivity increased dramatically.

Damn, you make me drool.

If only I could win one of these DP 1 GHz beauties, I would be in geek heaven. And then I could finally show PC users that the Mac really is much better than the latest PC offerings (unlike my outdated cube :(, even though it's an awesome machine).

With only about half the power (DP 533s) I know what you mean! :)

I keep expecing a slowdown, an error, a crash... something! Nothing! :)

Even as I was forced to downgrade my RAM from 1Gig to 384MB*, I am still running at full speed with no real problems!

For a guy coming over from the PC World... that's unbelivable! I can finally settle down, kick back and relax... then I get a tech support call for a Windows user and my bubble bursts as I have to go back to the PC to help them out! Doh! :p

(*was using sub-par generic PC RAM that was super sencetive to heat. Now I wait till I can afford REAL RAM! :) )

Are you using iMovie?

I'm using a G4 400 single proc and when I capture a DV stream, it basically locks out everything else on the computer.

That's great if you are using iMovie, and OSX will still let you do stuff using the second proc.

he's probably talking about Final Cut Pro.

however, multitasking can be enabled in iMovie by editing iMovie's preference file.

check out this how-to over at macosxhints...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20011027090253626

however, i wouldn't recommend trying this on a G4 400. capturing and exporting DV is very CPU and HD intensive. you probably need a dual proccesor machine in order for this trick to work well.

You're probably right about it not being such a good idea on my G4, but I'll give it a try anyways.

I was using FInal Cut Pro.

Anyone have in other interesting tests I can run to see how well DP works?

I already posted before CD MP3 ripping at 20X easily, so that's nice.

I have done very minimal Toast CD burning in background while working in foreground. So far so good. When I get more time, I'll really try to break it. The main reason I can't test it is that for some reason, I can only burn CD-RWs and DVDs but not CD-Rs on the superdrive. Any thoughts on this? I haven't had time to contact Apple about it yet. It's really annoying having to send files over the network to burn on another machine.

I've done a litle bit of things like downloading stuff off the internet in the background while playing a game, but not really demanding, maybe I could try that next.

i currently have a SP 733mhz Quicksilver, and miss the Dual 500 from my last job... this mahcines video is way better, but the other one seemed faster for some things. that is for certain.

Back