drag & drop breaks (jag)

scaryfish

Registered
For some reason, every now and then drag & drop just breaks. I can't drag anything. Not file or folders in windows, dock items, toolbar items, nothing.

A restart fixes the problem. Logging out and back in doesn't.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea why it happens?

I currently have the same problem except restarting doesn't even seem to help. I can drag sliders and drag a selection marquee, but no icons.

Losing drag'n'drop can often be cured by deleting the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple windowserver.plist.
That's the root-level Library, not the one in your Home directory.

I have a 2001 dual USB iBook. I tried deleting the file and rebooting: no good. I tried disconnecting all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc) and rebooting: no good. I tried removing my extra 128M memory and rebooting: no good.

So I've dumped all my files (again--I just did a clean install of Jaguar last week!) onto my Linux box and I'm going to do *another* clean install. I'd love to find out what the problem is and fix it rather than take the brainless Windows "format and re-install" approach to problem-solving, but I'm getting nowhere and I don't know enough about the innards of OS X to muck around.

This is the first time in the 9 months I've owned it that I've been disappointed with my Mac. If this keeps up I'm going back to OS X.1 because I switched from Windows to get away from this kind of frustration.

This horrible bug happened to me today. I tried a lot of the suggestions made over at Apple Discussions ( http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@135.YpJTaZt0fyo.0@.3bbabe0a/0 ), restarting, zapping the PRAM three times... until finally I came across a solution that worked:
Deleting the /Library/Caches folder. Apparently it doesn't work properly in the Finder, so:
Boot into Single User mode (Command-S at startup), type in

/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -uw /

as instructed anyway at startup. Then navigate to /Library/Caches and delete everything in it. Apparently it might be enough to delete the 'com.apple.dock.iconcache' file, but not necessarily. Anyway, type 'exit' to continue with startup, and hopefully everything will be back to normal. It worked for me, but this is a horrible bug indeed! Send feedback to Apple!

Back