Dragging not working.

Hypernate

McGeek
In OS.x.2 on my G4 iMac, suddenly I can't drag anything! I.E. i can't move anything to a different folder easily, I can't drag songs into an iTunes playlist, I can't move stuff on the dock, I can't drag the address thing from Explorer.... anyone know how to fix it
?

have you checked keyboard preferences? make sure to turn on full keyboard access... that's where I would start troubleshooting at any rate... also, what was the last change you made to your system before this happened?

It's already on. And the last thing I had was a system crash... i dun remember what I was doing, it was a few days ago now. I think I'd just installed some new stuff (lyrictracker) and a couple of other things.. I KNOW that would have coused it.. now just to find out how to fix it

Can you click on an icon - but when you go to drag it it's like you're not clicking down on the mouse at all (mouse arrow moves but icon stays where it was)?

I had that happen to me but for the life of me I don't know if it was something I did (installed something? which wouldn't suprise me - I've been hacking the system more than I should :D), I finally gave up and rebooted - fixed my problem...

If you never shut off your system like me, give it a reboot - hopefully that'll fix it.

(I tried just logging off and logging back in but that didn't help)

Umm... this is really weird. It's now sometimes letting me do it after a reboot, but then it just stops. Also, the dock and iTunes etc dont always work when finder does.

ALSO, the mouseover effects (text, magnification) on the dock don't work when it's broken.

ALSO, finder randomly relaunches.

I've had this happen to me a few times on Jaguar after the Finder crashed. None of the icons on the desktop or dock were draggable. I was able to drag finder windows though.

Another wierd thing with my desktop is that all the icons shift to the right sometimes so they are half on the right side of the screen and half off the screen

I have the same problem. I can't drag icons anymore, nor in iTunes, or Toast Titanium, or whatever. I also have the problem of the finder relaunching now and then, most of the times when i insert a ZIP disk, but also on other times. Another Finder problem is that sometimes some icons disappear, like the ones of the applications and the system folder. and all the new applications i installed since the day the all this started, are given generic icons. what is going on here? if i remember well, it all started after inserting a zip drive, but i could be wrong, or it could be coincidence.
reboot doesn't help, i've even rebooted to os 9, did disc repairs, rebuild the desktop (although i now that this has nothing to do with OS X).
can anybody help??
thanks
Jutho
:confused: :confused: :confused:

That's apparently a fairly common problem. I've encountered it as well.

There's a discussion about it on the Apple web site. I'm not sure these links are persistent, but here's the URL I got now for the thread: http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@37.kUFeaBujd2t.6@.3bbabe0a. If that doesn't work, try looking for this thread: Discussions > Mac OS X > Getting Started and General Use > Using Mac OS X > Jaguar copy & paste / drag & drop bug fix

Hope that helps.

Also, check out the tool Dragster on versiontracker, its supposed to fix the problem, at least for some. I have found for my part that running diskwarrior and coldboot also seems to fix this (the 1 time I had the problem at least).

Back