Dreamweaver MX slow on Mac OS X

Macromedia Software - EXTREME slugishness with the interface... who agrees?

• Extreme slugisshness with properties window in Dreamweaver MX

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Extreme slugishness with properties window in Flash MX

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Overall slowness in all macromedia products

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Everything runs just fine for me!

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

solrac

Mac Ninja
Does anyone know why Dreamweaver is so slow?

Opening a new file.... takes about 5 seconds. (Five FULL SECONDS)
Closing a file... about 5 seconds

selecting text and:
- changing font in properties window - 3 seconds
- font to actually change on screen - 3 seconds
- selecting size of font in properties window - 3 seconds
- size to actually change on screen - 3 seconds

TWELVE FULL seconds to change the font and size of any text!!

My system:
Powerbook Titanium 400 mhz
1 GB of RAM
2.5 GB free HD space

Fresh install of Mac OS 10.2.2

any ideas?????????

I don't have any answer to the question "Why is DMX so slow under OSX", though I have a solution: uninstall it and use Adobe GoLive 6 instead.

Fast, powerful.

I know that Adobe software is much better than Macromedia software on a general basis.

Adobe software:
Fast
Efficient
Powerful
Not buggy

Macromedia Software:
Slow
Buggy
Slow
Buggy
did I say slow?
Powerful... somewhat

But I really don't want to get used to the GoLive interface and learn all the GoLive tricks. I don't have time for that. I have Dreamweaver, I'm used to it, I know its quirks, and I just wish clicking on stuff wouldn't take forever. Sigh...

Dear All,

It seems that with 2.5GB of FREE hard disk space, you might want to free up some more.

With a 1GB of RAM, you still need free hard disk space, so try freeing some up, you never know, it might work.

Download iPulse to have a view of the system to give you better indication of what is going on.

Originally posted by solrac
I know that Adobe software is much better than Macromedia software on a general basis.

Adobe software:
Fast
Efficient
Powerful
Not buggy

Macromedia Software:
Slow
Buggy
Slow
Buggy
did I say slow?
Powerful... somewhat

I don't agree with that.
I bought a legal copy of Macromedia Studio 3 (Fireworks 3, and Dreamweaver 3) off eBay about a year ago, and I use it almost every day. It is fast, easy to use (now that I've learnt it), has perfect intergration, and doesn't crash.
I don't even own an Adobe product, I don't need any.
Thank You Macromedia!

I got a dual 867mhz Power Mac... and I have the memory upped to 1,256mb ram... Dreamweaver MX runs fine... for me.

I don't think Hard Disk space is the problem here.

I am beginning to think that a 400 mhz G4 is not powerful enough for Dreamweaver. Sigh...

or... Macromedia just can't program for mac.
Photoshop (or ANY OTHER adobe program) doesn't have these problems clicking in text fields. It's so STUPID!!!

oh well...

I upgraded my Dreamweaver MX from a Trial version to a full version the other day, then ran the dreamweaver MX update and it seems better. I understand the slownes in opening and closing files but i didn't notice it after the update.

Twister

Bought Dreamweaver MX and am very happy with it. However... I think the "slow" processor is keeping the system to respond.... I remember using MX on my 500MHz iBook - slow as *ell - but under my DP 867 is works just fine....
Of all Adobe products I have used only Photoshop and Pagemaker and hate them both - for me it's a non-inuitive interface and hard to learn... :))) But of course I've never tried GoLive.

- pbmac from Sunfire Service Control Center

Why all this whinning over Dreamweaver MX? If you guys say it's so slow than maybe it's time to go invest in a Dual Power Mac :) vroom... vroom works fine on mine.

MX runs fine on my G3 300 beige machine (768mb ram) under X 10.1.5. I'm sure it would run better on a DP, but I have no complaints.

The computer I'm working on at the office is a 1.3g PIII with Win2kPro. MX is slower on that than my Mac....come to think of it, everything but IE is slow on that thing. Though the PIII only has 256mb of ram.

I agree with Sirtovin, MX works fine and fast as hell on my g4 dual, however, you'll find that osx's extreme overhead on the cpu will slow down any app.

I think that's one of Apple's ingenious marketing ploys; make an operating system that is so stupendously and unnecessarily taxing on the cpu that everybody HAS TO upgrade to a new mac just to maintain a level of average speed, and Apple's employees can drive a new SUV. - nice. A supprising move from one of the most left-wing companies ever to exist.

Originally posted by toast
Dreamweaver 3 is not Dreamweaver MX. OS9 is not OSX. The comparison is hard to make.

I didn't say that, I was just disagreeing with the vast generalization solrac made about Adobe vs. Macromedia.

Originally posted by dlloyd
I didn't say that, I was just disagreeing with the vast generalization solrac made about Adobe vs. Macromedia.

It seems like everyone with a <500 mhz G4 processor has the same problem I have. (I posted this on other forums as well.)

Hence, I come to the conclusion that Macromedia cannot program for mac worth a crap.

Everyone's learning that Flash web sites run great on PCs, but very slow on mac. Macromedia can't program for mac. Now it's apparent that Macromedia can't even make their properties windows work well on any mac under 500 mhz, at best.

Finally, my comments about Adobe vs. Macromedia are not vast generalizations. They are hardcore truths.

Dreamweaver vs. GoLive. One is slow, buggy (on mac and PCs -- just look at the list of updates on Dreamweaver 6.1!!!)... the other works great, just that more people are used to Dreamweaver (myself included).

Flash vs.... nothing
Flash has no competition, therefore everyone must use Macromedia's software. However, Adobe's SVG is WAYYY more advanced than SWF and works better on mac, too.

Director... perhaps macromedia's only software that works ok on mac, but with the new Director MX on OS X, I'm not even sure if that'll still be the case...

Fireworks vs. Photoshop / Imageready
Photoshop. Hands down. Der??? *slap*. Photoshop even generates better HTML than fireworks. I've worked with both.

lates

my dual 500 seems to get the same text feild slow downs that you have... not so horrible but noticable.. perhaps its the lack of graphics acceleration in our systems orrrr perhaps something do do with the 7400 g4? everybody without the 7400 in this thread has no complaints it seems

Back