Drive 10 or Norton SystemWorks 2?

kafene

Registered
want a disk maintenance app for osx. i used to use norton stuff until techtool pro v.2 & 3 came out. some guys says they think norton's does a much better job (but i don't know).

which do you guys think is better, Drive 10 or Norton SystemWorks 2, for maintaining osx drives?

kafene.

I prefer NSW myself. Have always used it and probably always will. Drive10 is good, don't get me wrong there. It just seems to me that Norton's does a better job at scanning than Drive10. I guess what I'm saying there is that Drive10 never found errors that NSW did. Errors that it should have found

i've been using techtool pro's for a couple of years now, after i switched from norton's. techtool pro was a little pricier and looked like it had a bunch of cool little features. it was also much faster, but thinking about it now, it's probably NOT a good thing!;)

guess i'll be going back to nortons? hehe

thanks.

kafene.

I've heard horror stories about NSW 2. I'd never use it. Sad but true.

I also think that while Norton might *find* more problems on your harddisk, it might be a *bad* thing.

If Drive 10 finds two errors and corrects them and delivers a good running system, while Norton finds ten errors and corrects half of them and renders your system unusable, which one do you choose?

I'm using Norton Utilities 7 for two reasons: defrag and disk check.

After I defragged my ibook (2001)'s hard drive, performance was _notably_ better. This was after seven or eight months of heavy use. OS X should have a built-in defrag.

I've heard this before that Norton is bad. What's the evidence? So far, I've used it a couple dozen times with no problems.

Doug

I know that NSW and NU are different (in that NSW includes more stuff). I bought NU 7 because I thought $120 for NSW was steep.

Doug

Originally posted by kcmac
Isn't this what fsck -y is for?

You know, in my experience, paying money for NU (or any other drive utility like it) is totally bogus. I've never had a problem that Norton has fixed, at least in terms of major problems. It "fixed" a boot block error for me, rendering my drive unbootable and making me reinstall OS X. :rolleyes: :eek:

Has anyone out there experienced major problems that only Norton (or something of its ilk) was able to fix?

Please note: I refer only to drive-checking, not defragging. Although I do defrag on occasion, I've never noticed any appreciable performance gain.

Drive 10 is far better than anything norton has except that it doesn't defrag. so far, none of the good defraggers work in osx. they work to repair osx, but must be booted from os 9.

Diskwarrior with Plus optimizer is by far the best combo. Techtool pro is a close second but is much slower.

and yes, i have had diskwarrior save my drive. the process is documented somewhere on this site. I thought it was gone and no other repair utility fixed it.

as for those who use norton, be aware that a power failure or physical disk damage could cause the entire contents of your drive to be lost during a repair operation. diskwarrior and TTp are much safer. the only advantage norton offers is speed. but have you ever noticed how norton keeps wanting to repair the same problems over and over again? hmmm...what's that about?:D

I've had all kinds of nasty experiences with Norton. DD always finds "errors" that it tries to repair. Make a fresh install of Mac OS, don't add or change anything, just let Norton do its job, and it will detect dozens of frightening errors (that no other utility "finds" - duh). The "shutdown check" of Norton's file saver made all my Macs crash every time it ran. And try to get rid of Norton, and you'll learn that it installs hundreds of hidden files in all parts of the system. I'll never again let Norton come anywhere close to my hard disk.

Wonder if anyone on this discussion can help please? I'm getting some weird stuff on my Mac running 10.1.4.
Recently, I was having the freeze whilst trying to shut down/restart - "the spinning colour disk" freeze? Well, I found out that this had something to do with a Norton File in the Application Support folder called: "DTDaemon" I only found this out after a week of force restart or even taking the batter out of my laptop to shut down.

Anyway, now I'm getting the OFFICE X - Word, Powerpoint and Excel are giving me "UNEXPECTEDLY QUIT" I was advised that I should look at the fonts or something. Havn't tried yet but will do if I have to.

Also Imageready 7.0 won't launch all of a sudden "Could not fully start the application because an assertion has failed"

And thirdly PalmDesktop/Background is "Unexpectedly end file"

I was going to boot up from my Norton Utilities 6.0, and run SPEED DISK and Norton Disk doctor but have been advised off another discussion group that it will just make things worse - Perhaps I need to use another version?

I have DRIVE 10 on my Hard Disk which came with it but no boot disk? How can I run it on my HD then?

Any suggestions?

Thank You In Advance

Use BootCD (versiontracker.com) to create a bootable OS X CD. You can add Drive 10 to that CD with it. It uses your installed OS X to create a bootable small OS. It's really a nice thing. (You can also add other Utilities, of course, and the Terminal is already included.)

Back