Drive 10 - waste of money?

bookem

danno
I've had Drive 10 at work ever since it first came out, but never has it found any problems with a disk, nor fixed any errors on it.

The electronics testing it does is very nice, but what exactly is the point in this app?

I find DiskWarrior 2.1 to be superb for OSX disks. Why would I need aything else?

Anyone else find it useful?

Drive 10 has helped with fixing volume structures when disk utility could not.
The ability to optimize is handy. Alsoft lost my continued support long ago due to upgrade/pricing policies.

i've had drive 10 discover and fix plenty of problems with my drives. you must just be lucky and not have had any major ones. it's biggest drawback is that it is so slow, especially for defragmenting. oth, it is os x native and will run in the background so you don't have to wait until it's done to do other work.

i agree that diskwarrior and plus optimizer are generally better apps and i am looking forward to their os x release soon. i'm also excited about the new os x native techtool pro which may just be the best general repair utility if it overcomes the speed issue.

still, when all else fails, diskwarrior always saves the disk. :)

Norton is much better in my opinion.. drive 10 wouldn't work for me, though i got it off Big Red H.

I had the same thing with drive 10 before Jaguar, so I still use Norton, drive 10 found only 1 thing once, norton found them all fixed them and had me up and running.

ever try running norton twice in a row? it will find the same errors and 'fix' them again. keep repeating this process and note how many times you think everything is cool and yet the error shows again anyway. norton 'finding' a problem has never been proof it is a better product. it is well known for causing as many problems as it solves.

In my humble experience DiskWarrior is king. Several times Drive 10 has found problems (Volume Wrapper, etc) and gone belly-up. Running DiskWarrior from classic saved me every time. Great that it's now here for OS X.
And Norton? Master of Illusion.

no, I run it, it fixes it, run it again it finds nothing. If it keeps finding things there are serious problems on the disc, so run it till it says there are no problems. Norton isn't as good as it could be, true, but from my own experiences it's by far the best. But honestly, some things nothing but a reinstall can fix, you just get tired of trying to save a system.

i haven't had a problem that either diskwarrior or techtool pro couldn't fix in the last 10+ years. i have never run across a problem that had to be resolved by reformatting since about os 2. i've been using macs for nearly 20 years and reformatting is for windows, not macs.

We are on X, not pre X. I reinstall in place, not a complete wipe. Instead of me trying to find a problem that nothing seems to fix, it's a hell of a lot easier to install in place, use a combo update and go about my business. Considering most troubles appear after system updates, mostly the last updates(10.2.3 & 4 - managed to fix 5).

As far as pre X mac systems, Norton and or techtools worked fine, unless it was a damn extension conflict that somehow got passed conflict catcher. I will say Techtools was better, but I still used Norton more. I don't use Norton for anything other than repairs, all that virus/system protection garbage just doesn't work, causes more problems than good.

Those boot-able CDs do become handy, no matter what the preference, to each thier own, as long as the result is a working Mac.

Sure drive 10 can fix things, but I spent 7.5 hours doing so. You could boot to os9 and use diskwarrior and be back in service in about 10 minutes.

Diskwarrior is one app i never tried, I think it's on my Systemworks CD, but a drive recovery edition. So it fixes problems in the X system as well?

Yes, DiskWarrior in my experiences doesn't seem to care about OS9 or OSX, but rather HFS+. It has saved me on a number of occasions.

Back