Drive Error

Johnny D

Registered
How come I get this when my DVD is done burning?

"The drive reported an error:
Sense key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense code = 0x73, 0x03"

This JUST started happening. Ive tried burning it twice and both times i got the error. My file is an .avi file and is around 700MB which should be fine. Im using FujiFilm DVD+R and am burning at the lowest speed possible. I think these DVDs are sketchy. I used Msonic DVD-R before and they worked perfectly. These +R DVDs have a tendancy to work sometimes and not work at all other times. Also Im using Toast Titanium 7 but i dont think that has anything to do with it.

Help please?

The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry...

Which version of OS X do you have, and which drive does it have? (about this Mac > More info, to get details on the optical drive)

Reset the PRAM (Restart your computer, at chime during restart, press and HOLD these keys: "Apple + Option + P + R". Continue to hold all four keys and wait for the computer to chime 2 more times, then release the keys) - it could be something odd in the settings, and PRAM reset should fix it in that case. After this has been done, try again to burn it, either this or other brand disc. (and maybe Finder instead of Toast, to see if there are other error messages, and I'd check if burning CDs succeeds)

If even that fails, run Apple hardware test. Boot from Install Disc 1 that came with your computer, holding down alt (if PPC) or D at startup (for Intel Macs), and select Apple Hardware test, and run the extended test.

Check also "Buffer Underrun Prevention" in "recorder settings" in Toast, and try burning at slowest speed.

If Apple Hardware Test reports an error, I'd take it to a service provider for drive change, but apart of that there are many options... hopefully one of these steps solves it for you.

ive tried 3 already. I get the same error. Should i just buy new disks of a different brand?

You can try a different brand, but most likely try a new drive. Those kind of errors in general are caused by incompatible discs (not necessary bad quality) but more often by a defective drive.

Good luck, Kees

Back