Drive Image backup

dreael

Registered
Dear MacOS X users

I have running a Mac mini as a webserver with a fairly complex PHP/MySQL and system configuration. For an efficient disaster recovery (hard drive damage or a hacker which destroys all Web content and OS installation), I'm looking for a tool like PowerQuest's DriveImage from the Microsoft Windows world. The idea is something which boots from the CD-ROM with integrated network support (SMB to Windows or NFS to a i386 Linux backup server preferred), so I can replace a damaged hard drive at any time, boot the machine with that CD and play back the backup so I get a running machine without reconfiguring everything.

In addition: Is it possible to replace the hard drive (I can't see any screws) on the Mac mini? That would me allow to temporarily mount the (standard [E]IDE?) drive on a i386 box and use a "dd if=/dev/hdc" like command.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

um. boot from the osx install cd, open disk utility and make an image of the mini's HDD. i think it has network support built in for saving, if not, save to a usb2 or firewire hard drive temporarily then move to server or burn to dvd.

to recover, boot from same cd, and recover from image.

Back