Drive Partitioning Advice + Questions

Incubated Funk

Registered
Hi Guys

Ive just bought a 300gb internal seagate barracuda sata drive to replace my 160 that ive been using a a second drive partitioned into 2.

My G5 is mainly for music production use so i have a 160 root drive partitioned into 2 (100+60) and now a 300gb which im going to need to partition. This new drive will be mainly for audio samples so how many partitions do you think i should go for considering im going to be using about 120gb of audio???

Also once a drive is partitioned can the partition sizes be changed without formatting the drive and can drives be partitioned which already contain data?

Any advice would be much welcome

There's a program that says it can change partitions without data loss or formatting, but I personally wouldn't trust it.

Why do you want to partition (multiple partitions) it in the first place? There's no real need to do that with OS X nor is there really any benefit to it.

if OSX gets (god-forbid) "hosed" and needs to be re-installed, you can easily format (ensuring a clean start) and know your data is right there on <PARTITION 2>

no backup is going to be 100% correct up to the point of failure (except RAID. but that isn't what he's using)

Back