drop box permissions

rrashton

Registered
How do I setup the drop box permissions so that when an user across the network saves a file in shared->public->dropbox on my computer the files are rw,rw,rw,rw. I was supplied an apple script code that when compiled creates a folder action so that files saved on the host computer are rw,rw,rw,rw. This works fine when saving on the host computer. A computer on the network can then read the file, change the file but when saved back to the host computer the file then has rw,rw,r,r. We really need the file to be saved rw,rw,rw,rw. Any help would really be appreciated.

1) your are having too many 'rw's : there can be only three: Owner, Group, Others.

2) you are stating that the folder action is working when storing locally, but not when storing over the network.

Possible solutions:
a) change the permissions on the dropbox to be rwxrwxrwx. Permissions are usually inherited from the folder they are stored in.
b) set up a cron job to go through the files in the dropbox each minute and fix the permissions.

Try a) first. If that doen't work, report back and we'll set up the second solution.

Back