Dropped characters when using OSX

daviddennis

Registered
I love OS X except for two things. One of them I don't think I can do much about, the other just makes me wonder.

Here's the critical question: When I'm using Internet Explorer, I seem to lose about every tenth character I type. That is, if I were in MacOS X right now using IE, I might see something like this when I type:

This is soe test textto demonstate my odd problem.

As you can tell, this is a horribly exasperating problem for me. I type about 110 wpm, and that might be why you don't see this problem reported more often, but it's definitely there.

If I'm running, say, emacs on a terminal window, the problem is much less severe, but still there - maybe I lose one out of every 20-30 characters I type.

Now this seems rather annoying. I never lose any characters when I'm typing under Linux, after all (as I am now). I lose very few under MacOS 9 (and those are probably because I don't get along that well with the feel of the Pro Keyboard), but I lose big-time under X.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do to fix it?

My hardware is a brand new (two week old) G4/450 multi-processor with 512MB RAM and a 30 and 80GB IDE drives. Surely this should be powerful enough to run OSX?

Many thanks for any insights.

D

(PS The understandable problem is that neither Apple's Final Cut nor iMovie run at all well under X - but this is not that big a problem since I knew that would probably be the case. It certainly does prevent me from using OS/X for all, or even most, of my work).

Back