Dropped my Powerbook today broken LCD, what should I do?

Registered
I forgot to zip the laptop compartment of my backpack. Soon as I got outside of my house, it flew out and the LCD cracked. Wegenermedia and Techrestore do the repair for $650-699.

Do you think I should repair it or sell it on Ebay? I could get a new Powerbook from school with the education discount for 2000 probably.

Today is my freaking birthday.. and my car system just got jacked 3 days ago. :(

Machine stats:
Powerbook G4 1GHz 15"
768MB
Superdrive 2X (flashed firmware)
60GB
Couple cracks, bottom left of casing is a little bent out, but could be glued back in
Left hinge is broken
Radeon 8700 (I think)

ouch.... thank christ i can't pick up my mac :p it'd be dead by now....

theres a water damged pb 15" going for $500, on ebay uk. most of it's fine, it's just the lcd, i assume?

Awww man that sucks. Does the computer still work on an external Monitor?

If you are like me you will use this as an excuse to get a new computer (if you can afford it). My PC got killed last week when we had a thunderstorm, somehow our router got hit (nothing else in the house was hurt, lights, clocks, video game consoles) by a surge and fried, it then took out every NIC directly connected to it, but the PC's were fine. In my room however, I have a 5 port switch, which 2 of the 5 ports don't work anymore but the rest do, my PowerMac was not harmed but my PC doesn't work anymore. It isn't the power supply, i tried it in another computer, it works fine, it has to be the motherboard. Although I could just replace the motherboard, I feel that if i replace it other things could be broken, like RAM and CPU. So now is my chance to justify getting a new PC.

I actually was planning on just living with Virtual PC, but I have a lot of course work next semester and stuff for work that I will need to do on a well performing PC. I would also like to be able to play games, when I get a chance.

So i guess the point of the rant is, I am kinda pissed that it died, especially because it was bad timing, but I am happy because now I get a new one :)

I have a P4 3GHz..... and it works with a monitor still. TechRestore is 699 + 100 to fix the hinge........... a new Powerbook would be 1999 w/ education discount. I think I could get 500 for my Powerbook.. so it's either 700 to fix it or 1500 to buy a new one ... :/

033 said:
No votes? :(

If you decide to replace the LCD, it is fairly easy. Be sure to do some google searches for companies that have spare parts...and make sure to read the warranty / return / shipping and restocking policies before you buy.

Also, check the Apple Store refurbs, I belive you can still get an educational discount from there. I bought my G5 Duel and saved $700 and haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

Worst case, you could just close it up, plug in an LCD, keyboard and mouse and have you a really compact desktop computer :D

Back