ds store.ggggrrrrrrrrr

chiliman321

Registered
as a brand new mac user i was totally enjoying the experience...untill i started having these Da$m DS STORE file appearing....mannnn...now i have deleted these files with MacPilot....and they keep coming back....i am a bit reluctant about this OS now...(10.4.8).and help ideas for this nusance?.

Aren't these files invisible, in a normal Finder? I don't see them, anyways.

I found a program called hide-a-folder, and it will hide folders you don't want to see.

wow thanks for all the quick help...i just hid them...but i will say this mac here just got slower....hmmmm.....well its my own fault!...i am ALWAYS trying to tinker under the hood......i bought this used....g4 667mhz....its been way cool for the last week....but i am haveing some slowdown issues....i went to the startupitems but im not that familar with what should stay and what should go...so i will just kinda feel my way thru it...and of course crash it a few times....reinstall and well...all the stuff ive done thousands of times on my windoz machines.....i truly apprieciate having a place to come for help....thanks much to you all!!

Yea, the DS store should be a hidden file. Techniquely there's one in every folder. If you're seeing them then I suggest that you've done something pretty bad somewhere. There is a script called Sneak A Peak which allows you tno see hidden folders/files.

If you are going to go playing about deleting things to see what happens, you will have to do reinstalls.

You shouldn't have anything in startupitems unless you've installed it for yourselve. For instance I have MySQL in there.

well thanks friend...as a rule i like to SEE ALL my files on the drive. Its just something i do. On windowz machines there are many possibilitys for spyware, adware and viruses. So for this reason i always do it. But im in a different world now and things work abit differently...(they work :))..so i am learning a new way to work........ i apprieciate all the help and comments...

You're going to run into issues if the system items are un-hidden, you don't need to mess with those files, and if you do, you can easily use Terminal or something. There's no viruses that you're going to prevent by viewing invisible files, you're just going to create more problems. To hide system files, do this:

In terminal, type: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO"
To make the changes take effect, type "killall Finder"

You can reverse that by changing the "NO" to "YES"

thanks friend...so what is my best option for making this old g4 run quicker?..i have looked at several accelerators but was wondering what seems to be preferred?...thanks again...

I wouldn't invest in anything too much - the G4 processors are now obsolete with the intel chips. A faster, bigger hard drive may be a good thing if you run out of space, RAM is a good investment too.

obsolete is not a bad thing...your talking to someone who knows obsolete...i have had every computer ever made damm near from the commodore 64 days to amiga 500s, 2000s, 3000 towers...8088s, 286, 386, 486 etc...i have owned them all and am also a certified tech....but the madness must stop somewheres....so i bought me my first mac...it s used G4 667 Digital Audio with 1 GB ram and 60 gb hd....it was only 150 bucks so i took a chance....i honestely must say.....im smilin....i plugged it into my router and bam...it just worked to my amazement....i plugged in a external drive and wala!!....can you imagine that???....it worked.....so into the network i went and ill be dammm...all my windows shares were there!!...THAT IN ITSELF sold me!!...so i dont mind putting in a few dollars more to make it abit faster....so im lookin for ideas....and obsolete you say?...arent they all!!...soon i will make the plundge for a new desktop...or maybe even sooner....:)...and of course in a few short months it too will be swallowed by the fast pace of technolodgy..

Welcome to the greener side of the fence!

Are you using Tiger (10.4.x)? If you are I recommend at least 512MB RAM but 1GB RAM really speeds tiger up. Also you might want to try Applejack or Diskwarrior if you contunue to see your G4 being slow. Keep in mind though that it is a 667Mhz cpu...

Yes friend i am using 10.4 with a GB of ram...but what im really interested in is the cheap 200 dollar accelerator cards...are people happy with them?

To be honest, $200 is too much to put into that machine. The accelerator will use up more battery power, and many people report problems. You'll be better off investing in a new battery (from NewerTech Technologies, about 50% juice), a bigger hard drive, or RAM. Or, even better, start a MacBook fund..

To be honest, $200 is too much to put into that machine. The accelerator will use up more battery power, and many people report problems. You'll be better off investing in a new battery (from NewerTech Technologies, about 50% juice), a bigger hard drive, or RAM. Or, even better, start a MacBook fund..

this is a desktop...it already has a gig of ram and a 60 gig HD and 32 MB Vid...I need more clock speed!......200 bucs hardly seems like a large investment....but i must agree after only a week..a mac fund sounds like a plan...

What card are you looking at? Seriously, though, you can get a new intel mini for $500 (refurb), which is less than some cards, and it will blow away anything G4.

well i was looking at the sonnett 1.6 gh it was about 229 or so...i never gave that any thought..a mini huh?.....i dont imagine you can add much to them though....if any...but they are very sweet....i think brand new there oly 499....here in so cal anyways....

The mini is the "low-end" mac now, and it uses a laptop-style hard drive and RAM. The iMac is a step up from it, but you get much, much more. The mini could outperform your G4, though. The thing about upgrade cards is that it will be faster, but still light-years behind the intel macs. You'd be throwing money into an architecture that Apple has abandoned.

The mini is the "low-end" mac now, and it uses a laptop-style hard drive and RAM. The iMac is a step up from it, but you get much, much more. The mini could outperform your G4, though. The thing about upgrade cards is that it will be faster, but still light-years behind the intel macs. You'd be throwing money into an architecture that Apple has abandoned.

just curious here...but isnt your most powerful Mac 733 lightyears behind also?.....curious here....the apple store folks tell me this is the very best machine to upgrade and STAY with the times..(667 DA) because of its 133MHZ buss ..it WILL still run everything....well with exceptions to windows.......but i have a Pentium 4 2.6ghz that works windows very well........and at the cost of a new machine....this is a good choice for my learning adventure......i played with a mini mac and to me...there just wasnt much difference in speed.....leastwise not that much...i really am curious about your most powerfull mac..why dont you have a quad?....

just curious here...but isnt your most powerful Mac 733 lightyears behind also?.....curious here....the apple store folks tell me this is the very best machine to upgrade and STAY with the times..(667 DA) because of its 133MHZ buss ..it WILL still run everything....well with exceptions to windows.......but i have a Pentium 4 2.6ghz that works windows very well........and at the cost of a new machine....this is a good choice for my learning adventure......i played with a mini mac and to me...there just wasnt much difference in speed.....leastwise not that much...i really am curious about your most powerfull mac..why dont you have a quad?....

One of the things that Mac users have had and PC users don't usually experience is the longevity of their computers. Macs have a much longer staying value and Mac OS X actually optimizes much better with every release, making it a bit faster than it was before. On the Windows side, each major release always ends up running slower on older hardware, meaning that at some point you're required to either replace a part of the machine or the entire machine itself. Right now, a G3-based iMac can run Tiger decently with enough memory (it's an old machine, so you can only push so much out of it, but adding more memory does bring new life to that iMac). Plus, G4s have been out for quite a long time now beginning with the first generation Power Mac G4s, and Leopard surely will support them. At the time, Pentium III computers were out when the first Power Mac G4 was released. I doubt that those will be able to run Vista even using the Classic interface. This is the reason many Mac users don't find the need to upgrade their hardware as often.....they have a much more lasting value.

Case in point, I still have a 13-year-old Macintosh Quadra 650 (pre-PowerPC) that's still very useful.....it's actually running as a web server at the moment using MacHTTP. Many others are even doing this with older Mac hardware than this. That says a lot about the Mac and it's operating system, even back in those days.

About the only thing that would make an old Windows PC last longer than the usual duration is if that PC is running an older version of Windows (which is basically obsoleted at this point) or using an open source OS like Linux or Free/Open/NetBSD. Still, this limits you to a 386 computer at the very least and only with a command shell. Even an old 68000 compact Mac can do a lot more using an older GUI interface.

As for eric2006's powerful Mac, consider that it was from an ad that appeared when it first came out. Look underneath is and you'll see the date from whence it as published (Oct. 4, 1999). ;)

Back