.DS_Store files not created

Houkie

Registered
Hi all,

A few month ago I installed some updates (among them Mac OSX update 10.6.8. which I suspects to have something to do with the problem) Ever since that date I have the problem that .DS_Store files are no longer created/updated. I especially need these files for some fancy looking dmg-files I need to create (which was no problem before).

I have checked the user defaults to see if the creation of .DS_Store is surpressed (using the command 'defaults read com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores') but this is not the case.

Can anyone help me enabling the DS_Store files again?

Tia,

Wim

I was playing around just now, and I find that .DS_Store files aren't created automatically. Simple things like creating files and folders in Terminal or in Finder won't cause .DS_Store files to be created.

To force the creation of a .DS_Store file, go to a folder in Finder, then right click > Show View Options, select "This Window Only", uncheck "Keep arranged by", then move one of the icons askew. There might be a simpler way....

Does this help?

Hello Travis86,

Thanks for your response.
As for your response I can come as far as "Show View Options", but I can't find the options "This Window Only" and "Keep arranged by" (I'm using a dutch version but I also can't find anything that looks like the options you name). Might this have something to do with me using OSX SNow Leopard and you perhaps Lion?
Thus so far your suggestion doesn't help, but let me explain what I'm doing and what I expect to happen..

I am creating a new DMG with the diskutility in OSX. When I mount the newly created DMG and create a folder in it, a .DS_Store file should be created immediately (it does on an other system with the same OS and updates). After this I can place the new folder somewhere else in the folder or set the background. This all looks good until I unmount the DMG. Once I mount it again I don't see the background anymore and the folder is placed in the upper left corner because of the missing DS_Store file.

Changing the creation of my DMG files to the other system is not an option by the way but any other help is appreciated.

Wim

Travis,

The thread you link to is this thread... Maybe you meant an other thread?
Also I don't know what you mean by convincing Finder, but perhaps the other thread also clarifies that.

Wim

You shouldn't need to reinstall the system just to get your Finder windows to function properly.
Try deleting (from your user/Library/Preferences folder)
com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.BezelServices.plist

Log out, then log back in to your user account.

That should fix your windows.

Hello DeltaMac,

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't solve my problem.
However your reply made me think and try if I also have the problem when I'm logged in with a normal user (normally I use root). And to my surprise I don't have the problem with a normal user.
Also when I start up with a normal user OSX is in English while when I log in as root OSX is in Dutch (don't know if that might have to do with anything).
Do you have any other suggestions or shouldn't I use the root logging?

Yes, logging in as the root user is not recommended except for special purposes, and only for a limited time - and certainly not for regular use. For example, the user preferences are not stored in the User folder, but are stored in a hidden folder. Permissions are applied differently, and that would also explain the problems that you are having with creating the .DS_Store files. And, the root user, by its nature, leaves you wide open for a variety of malware, because a password is not needed to install any software.
Step 1 - Log in to a normal user
Step 2 - Disable the root account if you don't need to access the root user.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm using a normal user now and everything is working fine again. The root user has been disabled.

Back