Dual 1.42 GHz G4 better than Single 1.8 GHz G5?

Originally posted by tsizKEIK
the link that Hulkaros posted was a very interesting test concernin photoshop and RAM ... i think u should read.

besides that. i think we should all wait for panther and then judge the G5... and even that is not good enough.. cause its true that all software has not been truely optimizzzed for G5 :)

...for reminding people here this RAM matter because I think that the majority posting here still didn't get that RAM thing :D

YES, they should re-read that MacAddict thing and for those who want to buy ANY G5: Stuff it with loads of RAM ;)

As for Panther, I'm pretty sure that it will give ALL G3/4 Macs a performance boost of at least 10% in about everything! For G5, I'm pretty sure that the boost will be of at least 20-25%...

Patience is virtue and G5 is the future wither we like it or not! :p

But what MacAddict DIDN'T do was stock a G4 loaded with RAM and run the same tests. I suspect it would still get thrashed, but nonetheless, it's not fair or appropriate to compare in that way (cutting off the G4 at 512 RAM).

I'm very excited about that Mac Addict test. I work in huge Photoshop files, so I will be investing in massive RAM next go around. That is some serious speed.

I saw a test somewhere (I think Devlinite might have posted it) comparing the G5's and company to PC's, and the 1.6 Ghz G5 had only 512 MB RAM, and the 1.8 had only 1 GB, while the others (including the dual 2 Ghz) had 2 GB. I was like, "WTF? Try making an unbiased comparison!"

Back