Dual 867 MHz fan unbearably loud

ynotsmile

Registered
I just got an 867 Dual processor G4 and fired it up yesterday for the first time. The fan is so loud that I cannot concentrate enough to work. I think it must have a defective fan, so my brand new Mac is now sitting in the repair bay at my local Mac shop waiting to be checked and hopefully repaired. The tech mentioned that these new machines are much louder than the older ones. Does anyone know how to muffle the noise in the dual processor machines?

I think you can replace the fan for a quieter one, as long as you make sure that it blows a mass quantity of air (quiet ones that do that are usually more $).

You might want to mention it to your Mac shop and see if they can do it - or recommend one.

I have a dual 1ghz quicksilver, which is very nice. Also the two other desingers in my studio have them as well. I have to say the fan does sound like a hoover, but it only seems to do it in os9. We've updated the firmware but this hasn't helped. does anyone have a solution as it's really irritating.

You might want to look into some 120mm fans that have pretty good flow capacity on overclocker's sites. They usually sell specially designed items that have controlled speed feature and etc.

In Asia, there is a recall for the Dual machines with loud fan noise. I sent my Dual 1G in to the Apple Centre and guess what... they told there was a recall (no one told me...) and they replaced the logicboard and the fan noise is much more bearable. The new casing has too much holes and therefore the sound isolation we were used to in the past suffered. I could not use it in the editing room anymore because of that... too darn noisy.

My brother works as an mac tech and he has had lots of complaints about the fan nois in the new powermacs.. sounds like an 747 taking off... thery're loud.. hope apple will fix that

Back