Dual-boot questions

HyperLiteG4

Registered
Question, can i dual boot on the same system 10.2 and 7B49? I have 7B49 and I want to install it but I don't want to mess up my other stuff....or is it ok to install and are the apps now compatable (i.e. Final Cut Pro 4, Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Macromedia Studio MX, Transmit)?

Any info would be awesome, thanks!

I assume that you have only one partition on your one harddrive. Do not install Panther beta builds. You won't be able to upgrade to the final version, so you'll have to reinstall and have at least a backup of everything you'll need.

If you ever want to try out other operating systems (or beta builds, such as 7B49), I'd suggest to either buy a firewire harddrive or make backups of everything and partition your harddrive into two parts. This way, you can use a second, smaller partition for trying out stuff.

I've heard reports that installing builds of Panther messes up other installed systems. I'd be very cautious about going this route if I were you.

Yah...make 2 partitions. Back all your stuff up beforehand, as partitioning erases the HD. Then you can have a Jag partition and a Beta partition.

In wwdc version:
Final Cut Pro 4 /don't know, 3 works perfectly
Photoshop 7 /yes
Illustrator 10 /yes
Macromedia Studio MX /flash and director, NOT dreamweaver (in wwdc version that is)
Transmit /yes

DJ: Even with separate partitions, a number of people have posted about problems with Panther "infecting" the resources of their other OS's. (Yeah, we like to keep the word "infect" to Microsoft's stuff, but here it's somewhat fitting.) Apparently, Panther will affect files in your Jaguar installation, even if it's on a separate physical drive, so dual-system insallations are risky and not recommended by me unless you have a complete backup of your <=10.2 system.

Well, that's not how it is, Arden. It does not 'infect' or 'affect' files in the Jaguar installation. Actually, it's Jaguar which automatically finds newer versions of its applications and tries to start them. So, for example, starting up from Jaguar, Jaguar will think that the newer TextEdit should be used instead of the older one.

Yes, please go on, you have much more experience with Panther than I (with none). I was actually basing my explanation on some of the stuff you've posted, so please continue.

well, don't know what you mean... i just wanted to make clear that it's not jaguar that get altered.

you can, for example, just unmount the panther partition while using jaguar.

Originally posted by fryke
I assume that you have only one partition on your one harddrive. Do not install Panther beta builds. You won't be able to upgrade to the final version, so you'll have to reinstall and have at least a backup of everything you'll need.

If you ever want to try out other operating systems (or beta builds, such as 7B49), I'd suggest to either buy a firewire harddrive or make backups of everything and partition your harddrive into two parts. This way, you can use a second, smaller partition for trying out stuff.

I am sure you will be able to do an Archive Install to go from panther beta to final, but I am going to clean install anyway just to make sure everything is stable.

I use Panther 7B59 as my main OS now, and I have not experienced one problem :p

Oh, yeah. I always forget about archive & install. :) Its name tends to freak me out. :p

Back