Dual Core PowerMacs Tomorrow

I don't appreciate their calling the single-processor models "dual" and the dual-processor model "quad". But whatever, that's marketing.

I'm suprised that only the high-end model is a dualie now. That means the 2.3GHz single-processor model is just plain slower than the version it replaced, the dual 2.5. Maybe it's cheaper, though (I forget the pricing before).

Edit: Am I the only who thinks it's downright laughable that the lean, mean, "quad" G5 comes with the same amount of standard RAM as the Mac mini? C'mon like anyone who's in the market for such a powerful system would ever manage with 512MB....

I wouldn't say the dual-core 2.3Ghz is slower then a dual processor 2.5Ghz.. Dual core is more efficient then dual processor... I'd say it'd be a tie or the DC 2.3Ghz is slightly faster.

Initial updates from the Media Event in New York today.

- Upgrades to the 15" and 17" PowerBooks.
- 15" gets a new display with 1440 x960 resolution, while the 17" will get 1680 x1050. Both will be brighter thanprevious models and have better battery life.
- SuperDrives will be standard and all will support Apple's 30" Cinema HD Display
- Prices start at $1,499 for 12", $1,999 for 15" and $2,499 for 17".
- Powerbooks ship today

- PowerMac G5s updated
- Dual core processors, up to 16GB of DDR2 RAM, 1TB of internal storage, PCI Express
- Four new nVidia cards, including the Quadro FX 4500 - all four cards support 30" cinema display - PowerMac G5 Quad, with dual dual-core processors
- Single dual-core 2.0 GHz CPU version is $1,999; single dual core 2.3Ghz is $2,499; dual CPU dual-core is $3,299

- 23" and 30" cinema displays drop in price, 23" down to $1,299, 30" down to $2,499

- Aperture - post-production tool for photographers
- Built for pro photographers, provides end-to-end RAW workflow
- Feature called Stacks allows photos to be grouped together based on the time between shutter clicks
- Full screen workspace, can span multi-image displays
- Multi-image viewer to check images side-by-side, up to 10 at a time
- Standard tools like red-eye reduction; cropping etc. Non-destructive workflow and versioning capabilities

Stange that the middle model isn't a quad too..
Each core has it's own 1MB L1 cache so that should help with any bottlenecks that other dual core cpus have.

what's up fryke? it was a speedbump. powerbooks are improved too. you knew the books weren't geting any faster. living proof of the need to switch to intel.

Can't I still be a bit disappointed? I mean: I could've gone on and on about how for anything but the highend PowerMac, this was actually a DOWNGRADE, but I just said "Oh well" to it. That must be enough.

The PowerBooks should be in another thread. There I _don't_ say "Oh well", because a) they weren't so old before the update and b) the update is a welcome one. Only the 12" PowerBook is definitely ripe to be replaced.

*sigh*

The Powerbooks were basically untouched. Oh well, that means that my 12" 1.33 GHz isn't outdated so soon.

Viro said:
*sigh*

The Powerbooks were basically untouched. Oh well, that means that my 12" 1.33 GHz isn't outdated so soon.

The powerbooks were just slimmed down and trimmed, no more Combo-Drive's apple realize's that DVD burning (Superdrives) are the thing, instead of 5 models of Powerbooks to choose, it's 3, making things a lot easier on the consumer, and makes my powerbook very outdated ::ha:: ::ha:: ::ha::

I so want a quad...[drool]...guess it's time to look over the budget again and try to figure out some way to do it.

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
1GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 2x512
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English
$4277

Does anyone know for sure if the quad model uses a liquid cooling system like the old high-end models? I don't see any mention of it on Apple's site. I hope they managed to do away with it.

It doesn't look like they've updated any of the info on their website yet. There's still mention of the dual 2.7

And not just a 512MB card, but a real workstation card, the first we've had on the Mac. The 3D people should be ecstatic. And I don't mean the gamers.

I'm already thrilled with Motion on a Dual 2.7 with a stock video card. I imagine Motion on a Quad G5 with the high end card will be a full 100% performance increase if not more. Many production facilities could justify the price of a new box for that alone. Not me unfortunately, I'll keep grinding along until the IntelMacs come out, but it looks like a solid upgrade given the fact that it's a dead end for the G5 as we know it.

Looking around www.apple.com/powermac I see my fears come true. It's the highend model that gets advertised. Even Apple knows nothing about the middle and entry level machine they could tell. All the charts only compare the new 4x2.5 to the old 2x2.7 and the very old 2x1.42 G4. The other new machines are nowhere to be seen. I mean: I agree that the Quad is a real beast and I'd sure love to have one around for the occasional E-Mail writing session (I do Photoshop, but currently, my PB has enough oomph and I love to work in different places, so a PM is not for me, really...), but they _should_ have offered a better 'middle' machine. I personally think people should have the real choice, so they could choose an even cheaper 1 single core 2 GHz processor up to the 4x2.5 GHz machine. I know, too many configurations mess up logistics and stuff, but this just doesn't seem right...

I'm really looking forward to real life tests that put the old 2x2.7 against the new 2x2.3 machine... Apple still prices the old machine higher than the new middle.

Back