Dual G4 machine is the Devil

dfemorton

Registered
Help!!!

I have just bought a second hand Dual processor mac, it is a mirrored G4 1.25 Ghz machine with a small problem, I cannot install an OS.

What I have tried so far:

Installing Panther, Tiger and server 10.4 to see if I can get one of them to install.
All bring up the same problem which is the following error onscreen after the machine locks up "Your machine nees to be restarted, hold down the power button for seven seconds". this happens randomly but only when you are trying to install the OS.

I noticed a lot of people had the same problem on the forum and were advised the machine would need a firmware update from an OS 9 installtion.

I have tried to install OS9 9.1.2 and 9.2.2 but the machine will not boot from either CD. Is this just bad luck or do I need to try and find an image of the original rebuild CD for the machine?

The following hardware has been changed to make sure there is no fault;

DVD drive
Memory
Hard disk

Pram has been reset.

Do I need to just persivere and try to get a version of OS 9 to boot so I can upgrade the firmware (if it needs doing)

Managed to check the system profiler before a crash and the bootrom version was 4.1.6. is this the firmware version?

Any help would be great as its such a nice machine and I am determined to get it going if it kills me!!!!!

Thank you

You're experiencing kernel panics. These are more often than not caused by Bad RAM, but failing HDs and Logic Boards can also contribute to this. I would try swapping out RAM (or only leaving one chip in) to see if this clears up the issues. The best way to continue to troubleshoot this is removing all 3rd party peripherals, RAM, and airport card if installed.

Back