Dual Monitors & Desktops

Zapski

Registered
Does anyone know a way to get OSX to post a different picture on multiple monitors? In OS 9 the Monitors CP let you place different images on each monitor, but the Finder Prefs in X give no such option. Is there a terminal hack that will do it?

That was one of the first things I tried. I even tried making a very wide image in Photshop thinking it would spread it across both screens, but that instead produced identical squished version on each.

There certainly seems to be no way to do it from the GUI... but maybe some person smarter than I will figure out how to hack some preferences file...

Also do a search here for "dual monitors" and you'll get several other threads covering various aspects of using dual monitors... (Which they said would not work in 10.0.0.)

When I hook up a monitor to my PowerBookG4, it allows for the desktop "span." In fact, I can not figure out how to change it to mirror the desktop on the monitor:)

-jdog

Okay, the thing that needs to be realized here is this: OS X is not finished! When you encounter something that doesn't work, or doesn't seem right, or whatever, it doesn't automatically mean that what you want to do isn't doable. It most likely means that Apple hasn't gotten around to putting that feature in yet. I'm almost dead positive that when they get around to it, Apple will put in different desktop pictures for monitors. However, I believe that getting the system running well takes precedence. :)

Originally posted by StormSilver
Okay, the thing that needs to be realized here is this: OS X is not finished! When you encounter something that doesn't work, or doesn't seem right, or whatever, it doesn't automatically mean that what you want to do isn't doable. It most likely means that Apple hasn't gotten around to putting that feature in yet. I'm almost dead positive that when they get around to it, Apple will put in different desktop pictures for monitors. However, I believe that getting the system running well takes precedence. :)

Did you read my last post? I CAN do a dual desktop setup with my PBG4 running OSX!!!!!!!!!

-jdog

With seperate images on each desktop?!?

Send us a screen shot!

BTW, I know that this is not a big issue, but I did submit it to Apple as a bug/feature request long before I ever mentioned it here.

BTW I think you do mirroring on the TiBook by dragging one monitor on top of the other. But I've never tried it on mine.

-Rob

Tried that the other day, and it wasn't having any of it. Mind you, the other monitor was a telly, so it might have been down to the vastly differing resolutions.

BTW, I discovered that if you boot up in OS9 with something attached to yer S-ViDEO port and set up TV mirroring (to watch a DVD on your TV, for example), then shut down, unplug the S-VIDEO and restart in X, it carries on thinking that there are 2 monitors and moves things about accordingly. Rebooting into 9 without anything plugged into S-video automatically disables TV mirroring, and then you can boot back into X and everything's OK.

Am I the only person to discover this? Or am I just being stupid?

Originally posted by TommyWillB
With seperate images on each desktop?!?
[/SIZE]

What to you mean images? Are you refering to wallpaper? I will take a pic of what I can do when I get home...

-jdog

On my beige G3, I've had two monitors running sence 10.0.0 (initial install). They are both ATI chipsets (on board video plus ATI Rage Orion PCI card).

I have the same desktop background (that is, wallpaper) on both heads. However, I can have different applications on different desktops, as well as run XDawrwin on one display and aqua on the other. (Basically, just like OS 9)

I really hope Apple makes the mods to allow different backgrounds on each monitor, too.

BTW, for you video-ram-heads, you can't have more than three displays running at 1600x1600. (Finder crashes or something because the variable for desktop size doesn't allow that big a number, so I've heard).

Has anyone tried a Voodoo 5 PCI yet? They are onsale for arround $90 at the local computer stoor.....

Originally posted by jdog
... I will take a pic of what I can do when I get home...
Wow! 12 days...You must be a long way from home...

I'm just kidding. I'm only giving you a hard time, because I'd really like to see a capture of your entire 2-screen desktop.

Back