Duo 2300 -> Titanium

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
Anybody have any ideas on how I can connect my 2300 to my titanium so I can download files from the 2300 to the Ti? Will the modem jack work? What can of adapter will I need?
I don't know what you call it, but the serial port on the 2300 is a small circle, desined primarily for connecting the printer.

Thanks!

Anybody have an answer to my question on getting files from my Duo 2300's serial port into my Titanium?

Do you want to do this just once, or regularly? You could get the two connected on an ethernet network by using a scsi to ethernet adapter with the duo (here's one one ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2024694820). Farralon also used to make one.

If you're just wanting to copy your files over, you'll probably be best off finding someone who has a box of old peripherals so you can copy from the duo onto some sort of removable media (zip, jaz, etc.) that you can also read with the tibook (with the proper peripheral).

HTH.

You might be able to make a small network between the two computers, and use file sharing to mount one comp's hard drive on the other, and then download the files that way. You'll need to have the ethernet adapter, though.

So what is sounds like is that a scsi --> ethernet adapter will allow me to mount the 2300 in OS X. Correct?

BTW, I checked out the adapter on eBay. The problem is that the port on the 2300 was made for a printer (9 pin circular). Therefore, I guess it's a serial port, Not scsi. Can I use the same method to connect to my scsi Zip drive? Or somehow create a dasiy chain?

FYI, all the scsi -> usb adapters I'm finding on eBay are D-links.

Lastly, thanks for coming to my aid and rescue!!

According to this page, you have a both a DIN-8 serial port (the little round one), and a PowerBook SCSI connector (which I believe is the square looking port with lots of holes and a little nub on top).

So your Duo has two ports: Serial, and PowerBook SCSI

A Titanium, on the other hand, has three types of ports: USB, FireWire, and Ethernet.

First, for your Duo, you're going to need a PowerBook SCSI to regular SCSI adapter. This will simply make your little square port into a regular, long SCSI port. Go to a local Mac reseller store (Not an official Apple store, they won't have old adapters there) and they can probably hook you up with one.

THEN, I suppose, you could hook up an SCSI to Ethernet adapter to your SCSI port... so it would go like this...

Duo<---->PowerBook SCSI to regular SCSI adapter<---->SCSI to Ethernet adapter<---->"Crossover Ethernet" cable<---->Titanium PowerBook

whew! Hope that helps! sorry my post was so long-winded.

Back