DV Camera as WebCam woes

Hypernate

McGeek
I've been trying to use my Canon MV530i DV Camera as a WebCam using FireWire with iChat, and it's been working fine, EXCEPT that it turns itself off as a battery saver, even when it's plugged into the power. I can't find any way to turn this off in the menus. Does any one know how to try to fix this?

;)
Hypernate said:
I've been trying to use my Canon MV530i DV Camera as a WebCam using FireWire with iChat, and it's been working fine, EXCEPT that it turns itself off as a battery saver, even when it's plugged into the power. I can't find any way to turn this off in the menus. Does any one know how to try to fix this?

If there is a video tape in the camcorder... take it out. Heads spinning on the tape, in stand-by mode cause the camcorder to shut down after a few minutes of no activity. ;)

The camera may not work as a webcam without a tape being in it.
Try taking the battery out.
Check Canon's site to see if they have a support page that may have an answer.

yeah it doesn't work without a tape.
What I do now is set it to CARD mode, without a card in there, so it works, and when it starts beeping to turn off, i just press the PHOTO button on the remote, and it stays on, withotu taking a photo. But it annoys me.

Here's the answer.....

I have a Sony DCR-PC101 mini-dv camcorder. I was using ichat with my friend, and sure enough, it would turn off after a set amount of time.

My camcorder can act like a digital camera, taking 1mp still photos. If i set it to photo mode, it will never turn off. The reason is, that the camera thinks you're constantly about to take a photo, so it's always focusing, read to shoot.

If you put it to camcorder mode, it turns off after xx:xx time, to save battery.

Also, don't forget to plug in the ac adapter, and take out the battery....you'll never run out of juice! :->

This ofcourse works, if you can switch between digital still camera, and camcorder.
No tape required to be inside....

Mine still turns off when in Photo (Card) mode. All it does is, it still works as a Video camera, however, when I press the Photo button, it saves it to the card, instead of making a still image on the tape.

Back