DVD Authoring without DVD Studio Pro

applefan21

Registered
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help.

I'm currently editing a movie on my iBook, captured via a wonderful piece of kit (ADS Tech Pyro A/V Link) and whilst i know I can output to VHS, I'd love to get an external DVD recorder (only have built in DVD/CDRW drive) and make the movie in to a funky DVD.

I love the look of DVD Studio Pro, but don't have the umph on my machine to run it. Is there an alternative to to it that I could use on OSX Jaguar, 800mhz G3?

Basically, it's all about adding a commentary track and a couple of different custom designed menus.

Does anyone know of anything?
Plus, does anyone have issues with external dvd writers?

Thanks,

A cheaper option is iLife, with iDVD for DVD authoring. Really quite powerful and easy to use, and will install even if you don't have a SuperDrive installed.

i'm not sure, but while iDVD will install on a non superdrive system, I don't think it'll burn to an external drive. Unless there's a hack for it.

like I said, not sure.

I've done some research on this--you can't use iDVD on anything except an internal Superdrive. There was a hack at one point for a certain type of external DVD burner, however, once Apple learned of it, they put a stop to it. Not sure if its corporate laziness/efficiency (ship all computers with same software regardless of HW configuration) or if its a sophisticated marketing strategy.

I have a new PB12 with a combo drive (not a superdrive), and its frustrating that I have iDVD but can't use it for anything (unless, of course, I use the PB to edit iDVD files and another Mac to actually burn the DVD, which would require access to multiple Macs).

applefan21 said:
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help.

I'm currently editing a movie on my iBook, captured via a wonderful piece of kit (ADS Tech Pyro A/V Link) and whilst i know I can output to VHS, I'd love to get an external DVD recorder (only have built in DVD/CDRW drive) and make the movie in to a funky DVD.

I love the look of DVD Studio Pro, but don't have the umph on my machine to run it. Is there an alternative to to it that I could use on OSX Jaguar, 800mhz G3?

Basically, it's all about adding a commentary track and a couple of different custom designed menus.

Does anyone know of anything?
Plus, does anyone have issues with external dvd writers?

Thanks,

Dear Applefan21

You will need DVD Studio Pro for what you want to do, but as you said, you don't have the computer power to run the latest version. So what? Get an earlier version? I recommend you get a copy of version 1 or version 1.5. These should run on your G3. I suspect that you can pick up a cheap copy of eBay.

I don't know if you can use external DVD burners with DVD Studio Pro, but you can make a DVD Image, so you can burn it later. All you need then is a copy of Roxio Toast and bingo.

Hope it helps...

Back