DVD Burners - what's coming?

pishnaris

Registered
I read that Sony is producing a 17GB DVD burner for a ridiculous price...something like 2K :D

Anyone heard of anything new in the DVD R arena, other than the Sony thing? Sure would like to have 9 GB available.

$2000 for 17 gig of storage isn't that insane depending on the price and availability of the media. The SuperDrive was 1000 bucks not too long ago, now you can get an OEM one for around 200 dollars.

I agree that $2000 isn't necessarily insane, but it would buy a 23" Cinema Display, too. I'm looking for info on who else has got something in the wings....that's what brings the price down.

They're using dvd burners with a blue laser (smaller wavelength...hence more storage).

That's the next generation of dvd burners (up to 22gb per disk), which will be able to store HDTV signal.

Two things however....firstly, they won't be 22gb AND 16x or whatever speed...it'll be EITHER 16x (eventually) OR 22gb. :->

And ofcourse, there are already two groups battling out which format of the blue laser will win (just like DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W). *l*

Speed is a nice feature when you're doing 22 GB, but I wouldn't let that be the determinator. I want capacity!

Any idea which of these formats, or both, are compatible with the standard home DVD player?

Do you know when we can expect to see them come to market?

From what I've read, the blue-laser dvd players are backwards compatible to today's DVDs - but not the other way around. :-<

Guess I'll be using my 5-disc Pioneer player in conjunction with those Bluey's! *l*

Word around the campfire is that within about 2-3 years (hopefully) that this will be commonplace. Then again, they said that HDTV would be on more than like 3 channels. ;-P

ok what i want to know is can you use the DRU-500AX DVD+-R/RW Internal in a mac NOW?!

if i install this will the idvd and/or dvd pro recognise it? will the machine recognise it?
thanks reply to xian@lostinspace.com please!

iDVD only works with internal mac burners, so that means you must have bought a mac with a burner in it.

Originally posted by RPS
iDVD only works with internal mac burners, so that means you must have bought a mac with a burner in it.

...OR, you must install one. I pulled the DVD-RAM out of my old dual 450 and stuck a Pioneer A104 in it. Works great.

Back