DVD codec/ how to crunch full dvd?

HurleyGirlie

Registered
How do you crunch a full dvd into megabytes? What program is best, codec etc.
For example, you load a full length dvd on your DESKTOP, then to copy it to your HARD DRIVE it says its going to take hours . . .its in gigbytes remember?
Can you just take that full dvd and crunch it from the DVD to the HARD DRIVE, already crunched?
or
You copy the whole freaking dvd to your HARD DRIVE (which takes hours for those running under dual ghz . . .still 2 hours for me). To your HARD DRIVE then what process would you go about burning it to a CD format? NOT DVD, CD! CD! i just dont want to get the wrong info.

So, copy to hard drive then crunch to cd format?
or
Crunch from dvd directly and then crunch?

AWESOME!

I am confused.... what?

:p

and yes, i am jealous of your Dual GHz PMG4 (all that ram and hard drive space! what in god's name would you do with 220 GB?!)

if you have the money for a dual ghz g4 with that much RAM and harddisk space, i'd get a cheap AMD boxen with a dvd drive and a cd burner. plus about a 80 GB harddisk. you can get that for cheap money. there are nice (and FREE) tools for windows that let you almost automate the process from DVD to DivX or Video CD.

keep in mind that it's illegal in many countries to even make a copy for yourself if you own the DVD. those tools are mainly used for the piracy of video content.

with all the talk of late about piracy and censorship on this board, i stay away from telling you how you can copy a dvd on a mac, anyway.

if you get the cheap Windows machine, there is always a program by 321 Studios called DVD Copy Plus (i think... not sure). My boss bought it for him after seeing one of the banner ad's on a website, and now I go into his office and copy DVD's all the time. It's quite easy and very simple. Not sure if the quality is up to what you want, my DVD player (ummm... XBOX) doesn't playback CD-R's...

anyways, there is always that option...

also (this is how i do it at my house... he he he), well, i'll send you a e-mail... talking about it out here would probably violate some rules on the forums... a big problem lately

what would i do what 220 gigs? why edit of course! every 5 minutes of audio and video take up a gig, pretty crazzy huh? thats not as a bad as my friend who has 400 gigs, but he doesnt edit. just dls movies. crazzy guy. well send that email when you get the chance. thanks.

this is need to know for my own editing bussiness, not all have dvd players, cd's are well known.

Originally posted by HurleyGirlie
what would i do what 220 gigs? why edit of course! every 5 minutes of audio and video take up a gig, pretty crazzy huh?B]

i edit with only 60 GB... so as soon as i'm done with a clip... POOF! gone!

anyways, i sent the e-mail to the one that's on your website... i can't remember what it was... if u can't get it, send me an e-mail ( bling3k12@mac.com ) and i'll resend it to you

Back