Dvd Drive Won't Open

ndille

Registered
i have a g4 tower running OS 10.2.8 with a superdrive.

when i push the eject key on the keyboard the little icon doesn't come up on the desktop and the drive doesn't respond.

all of the other keys surrounding it work (volume up and down) but not the eject button.

i tried the paperclip in the pinhole trick but the tray only moves about a quarter inch before stopping.

there is currently nothing in the tray and this is the first i've noticed any problem with the drive.

if the best solution is to get a new superdrive, which is a good third party drive to purchase and what are the steps to getting it fully up and running?

i've read that some have used the pioneer dvr-109, but I don't know a whole lot about all the steps necessary to make it fly, i.e. getting the proper firmware and what-not or if that is even required.

please help.
thanks
noah

the same happened to me but with a powerbook.

you have two options:

restart the computer with the mouse button down

the other i don't know if it works with all macs...

Restart the computer.
When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys. (The Command key has an Apple on it.)
Release the keys when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware."
At the prompt, type:
eject cd

Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc, and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
Type:
mac-boot

Press Return.

liam

Back