DVD Movies on ipod?

What about running it through Final Cut Pro? could you do it that way was well?
would that be by making it into a Quicktime movie?

Final Cut Pro would really be overkill. You don't need to edit the movie, just transfer it to a Quicktime MP4 file. FCP would be able to do it though.

... Are we talking "your own movies" here? If so, I'd cut them with Final Cut Pro and use the integrated QT Pro exporter to create an iPod movie directly. But if the _source_ is already a DVD, then FCP is certainly not the way to go. (Overkill, as has been said.) Just use the tutorial linked above. Ah, I'll just link to it again, what the heck. ;)

Also, I have the following to add to the tutorial: If you want to later connect the iPod to a TV set or video beamer, it's better to use MPEG-4 at 640*360 (360 or lower, that is) than H.264, since the latter can only use resolutions up to 320*240, which for most people is not high enough to view on a TV or beamer.

AFAIK, you cannot use Final Cut Pro to "rip" a DVD into an iPod-playable format (nor a QuickTime playable format, either). The reason is that if Macrovision protection exists on the DVD (I'm assuming we're talking commercial DVD here), Final Cut Pro will not circumvent this and the resulting movie will not be viewable.

If it's your own home movies (non-protected DVDs), once again, FCP is overkill. Many free, easier tools exist.

I have been able to put commercial DVD movies into final cut pro before to edit in the past. once it is in it is just a matter of getting it out through the quicktime ipod function and or compressor correct?
ajmax

Yes, but there's not much sense in doing it, since handbrake is simpler and quicker and most importantly _direct_ at the job.

I have a ipod nano which i put dvd's on and a video ipod that i put dvd's on and hand break works but it is very slow i reccomend

10fps
target size: 400
sample rate: 22050
kbps:96

this is the fastest way to rip but not if you will watch on your mac.

Back