DVD player and 10.1.1 updates... they don't install

aloeppert

Registered
I got both updates from Apple's web site (I didn't use Software update because my internet connection is non-existent). Anyway, I'm running 10.1 right now. I have a 466Mhz G4 tower. When I try to install either update, I get to the screen where it asks which drive I want to install the update on, and my OSX HD is 'greyed' out.... so I can't select it... all my other partitions are unselectable as well, so I can't select a destination, thus the installers won't work for me. Has anyone else experienced this and/or know the solution to this frustrating problem?

Thanks,
Anthony

you may need the installer update that came out on 10/9. It is available thru apple downloads recent releases. try this first before screwing around with the rest of your system. it is required for all x updates after 10.1.

I also have found this link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235

but none of the cases apply to my machine. It's not any of the machines listed, and the additional causes list at the bottom of the article don't apply either.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm considering repartitioning my HD anyway (to be smaller than 8gig), to see if it works, but I REALLY don't want to do this.

Thanks,
Anthony

OK, I think I may have found the answer:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106582

A snippet from the above URL:
------------------
Note: When using the automatic Software Update feature, the order in which you will see the required updates, and must install them is:

1. Security Update 10-19-01
2. Installer Update 1.0
3. Mac OS X Update 10.1.1
------------------

I tried step 1 then 3, then I tried 2 then 3 (after HD format), but I hadn't tried 1 then 2 then 3.

so did it work? I thought something like this might be the problem, but I didn't realize that the three of them must be in a particular order. Thanks for sharing the info. i've gotten to where I just say yes to everything the program says is available even if i don't use it (like airport).

(I didn't use Software update because my internet connection is non-existent).

isn't it about time they brought the internet to Texas?:D

until Monday to know if it works... since I don't have internet access at home. Since you were curious, I used to have a cable modem service and I don't have a land line phone. The cable modem service started crapping out and the company wasn't doing a damn thing about it, so I got sick of calling tech support (burning precious wireless minutes waiting on hold) and them saying "no one has gone out there? Hmm... I'll look into that". So I bought a zip drive and I'm moving in a few months so I decided to against getting a phone line. Once you get past the initial uncontrollable shaking it gets easy... one day at a time.

well, Good Luck!!!

I can understand your internet predicament. sounds like enough to drive one to prozac. I hope you are making "internet ready' a prerequisite on your new place:) If I could affordably surf thru my cell connection, i would drop my land base in a heartbeat

Back