DVD Player Update is out...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Apple's posted a 15.3MB update for the DVD Player, which apparently gets it working on B&W G3's and PCI G4's.

Anybody on either of the aforementioned machines given it a shot yet?

you've obviously never had the pleasure of downloading drivers for UMAX's scanners. :D

They must use reverse compression, download 19.5MB and install under 4MB. :rolleyes:

when you play a DVD in X the full screen is not filled? There is a little black strip about a quarter of an inch on all sides of my monitor. In 9, it takes up the whole 15" Studio display. Does this update fix that problem?

What is the number (10.1.x ?) of this update ?
I want to download it tomorrow from work since I have a T1 connection, at home my dial up is gonna take an eternity to download that :p

Thank :)

Admiral

Hey I was just wondering...
I've got a 533DP G4 Digital Audio system, I don;t have a combo drive or any dvd playback. I was just wondering how i'd go about tossing a second optical drive in the tower. I mean what do I do with the font bezel. Is there anyway to get another spring loaded one, or am I stuck with a disgusting drive popping out form the front of my case?

There isn't room in the Powermac case for a second full sized drive. Some people have added them but it requires cutting some metal structure of the case, needless to say, that would void a warranty and metal shavings aren't compatible with computer components. I wouldn't do this if I were you.

The other option is to buy an external DVD drive. Probably the cheapest route would be to buy a Firewire case, and then a DVD-ROM drive. The drive will be cheap, but the Firewire case will cost you.

Everytime I think about this I get so pissed off at Apple for not putting a second full sized drive bay in their towers. WTF, these towers cost 2k-4k, and they don't even provide space for adding a second removable media drive? WTF!!! This winds up costing Mac customers a good $200 extra when they try to add a drive. When I added my CDRW drive, Firewire drives cost around $150+ extra, compared to internal drives.

Why Apple did this I have no clue...well, no I do have a clue. Apple has a patent on Firewire, and I think they make royalities off of every Firewire drive purchase (I might be wrong, can anyone confirm this?). So it would be in Apple's interest to force Mac owners to buy Firewire devices over ide drives.

I hate to think that Apple would be so slimey, but they are a business and when the Powermac case was introduced Apple was in the gutter and desperate for money. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason we get screwed when expanding the "expandable" tower is because of Apple's greed.

:mad:

I believe that originally Apple got like 2 cents for every FireWire component used, but that manufacturers got annoyed by this, and finally Apple just stopped doing this altogether and issued a one-time license fee for use of any FireWire component (of course they'll still have to pay the cost of manufacturing the components).

Actually, Apple had a one=time licensing fee companies that went for it in time. All the other companies that didn't do that had to pay a $1 per use fee. This really isn't that big a deal price-wise, except of course companies like Compaq whined because they chose not to go for the one-time fee. I have no idea if this has been changed or not, though.

I'm pretty sure al lthe pakcages you install fomr software upate and other sources are save in library/receipts...just sang it fomr there and you should be fine

I will download the update tonite from dialup. I was unsucessful in finding the update on apple's site (even though I did not look hard :p)

Most of my posts (like 60% or more) were made from home dialup.

Admiral

I was using a hacked DVD 3.0 to play DVDs back on my B&W for a while, and typically the Top command would reveal that the DVD app was using up to 90% of my CPU! The Dock was rendered unresponsive for the most part, although I could still do light things like use Mail or a Classic web browser. This was due to my hardware decoder card not being used in the slightest.

I've installed the new 3.0.1 DVD player, and Top now shows that the DVD player app is taking up between 50-60% of my CPU at any given time. Switching sizes and between full-screen and window mode is alot faster, and I was actually able to watch a DVD, burn a CD, and surf the net, all at once. Something I wouldn't even BOTHER trying on a windows box. But here's what's bothering me: I don't think this release is using the decoder card either. I think they just optimized the hell out of the app so that it could decompress the video in a more efficient manner, then removed the system check that made the last DVD player unusable in its virgin form on B&W's. By all rights and means, if my decoder card is doing the bulk of the work, then the CPU shouldn't even be NEAR 50% capacity just to watch a DVD. Honestly, I think Apple could get DVD working on B&W's better than on the new G4s simply because if they wrote the app to take full advantage of the decoder card, it would free up the CPU to do everything else I like to do while I'm watching movies (like surfing MacOSX.com!), whereas the new G4s will ALWAYS be tied to software based decoding.

Anybody have any thoughts on my unfounded theory?

I've wondered this myself...if you have dedicated cards for video and audio, why not have one dedicated to decoding dvds? I mena software based solutinos alsmot seem liek a backwards step.

That would be cool, and I agree, but it seems to me that I would see problems occuring from a troubleshooting standpoint. Apple's are nice when it comes to hardware troubleshooting, while they have become more device dependant as of late they've always had a nice simple theory on making boards. Even opening a G4 shows you only a motherboard, and video card (board wise.) Open your average PIII, and look at the sound card, video card, NIC card, your daughter card for the processor, the daughter card to take more memory on, and the daughter card that no one quite knows about, and compare the two.

All in one motherboards suck if something zaps the mother board. But... troubleshooting it is infinately easier. Adding another card would be stepping away from the "simple" theory.

Just my humble opinion.

That's one reason I love apples, and one reason why i almost had a heart attack when i had to have my motherboard replaced because a microphone plug had broken off in the audio in port. woulda been a simple fix for a pc, but in this case i had to get the motherboard replaced. last day of my warranty, and apple covered it.

i love those guys.

anyway, the second dvd-decoder card, for those that haven't seen it, are fairly indistinguishable from the video card, it sorta piggybacks on, but looks for all intents and purposes like one card, so its not like that Wired4DVD solution, as it doesn't take up a slot and appear to be a separate board.

personally, just due to the intensive nature of dvd decoding, i would think apple would WANT to save their processor power for better things (like window resizing hee hee) and go with the video-card-piggyback theory.

but hey, that's just me.

I downloaded the 10.1.1 and DVD updates from version tracker at work, but I had no idea my OS X was so out of date :p before I updated to the DVD and 10.1.1 I had to go online and do the installer update and teh security update :p (but I wasnt so smart to check the "update" pane first and I reinstalled the whole stupid OS :p

Oh well eveyrthing works...except that I haev 3 tmp, 3 var and 3 dev aliases that I want to get rid of but my finder is not letting me...dammit I want root access 24/7 :p

Admiral

The installer will not even try to process the update....

My hot-rod Beige is currently running the hacked v3 just fine.

-Kbray

Back