DVD Player

Jetbox

Registered
Hi. I recently had to reset the region on my DVD to watch a film I bought from Amazon. When I changed to region 1 I was warned I could only change the setting one more time after that. Later I attempted to change the setting back to Region 2 as all my other films are on this region. The warning came up again "this is the last time you can change this setting". That was fine because I had no intention of changing it back to region 1. But as I tried to change the setting it gave me an error message 'error: -70001' What does this mean? I still have one chance to change my settings back according to the system as agreed but it wont let me. What can I do? I havent used up all my chances and yet I now cant watch any of my DVD's. Please help me.

Regards,

Chris

Another solution I've noted is using VLC Player to watch your dvds.

In terms of that avoiding region coding, that only works on some drives. For instance it worked on my old G4 400 sawtooth but not on my 12" 867mhz powerbook.

Dull as it is you could try reinstalling in case its the software to change the code at fault (though the actual region code must be some chip in the drive I guess).

Finally if its a desktop (g5 or macpro) you can always get a new drive and fit that, its not too hard. Equally you could get an external dvd drive and leave that on r2.

Finally if its a desktop (g5 or macpro) you can always get a new drive and fit that, its not too hard. Equally you could get an external dvd drive and leave that on r2.

Good point Ora, and I'm relieved you mentioned it. I thought of it too but as so many forum users have laptop computers, I backed off. Optical drives are affordable, even to those of us $$-challenged. My solution would be to 'go external' with a replacement drive.

Manufacturers are also offering patches for their burners to make them region free, but the only brands I've seen discussed widely are Sony and Matshita, and occasionally Pioneer (for Win). In this day and age, region locking and restrictions are an archaic nonsense!

... it gave me an error message 'error: -70001' What does this mean? I still have one chance to change my settings back according to the system as agreed but it wont let me.

I found the following technical info re: DVD Player Region Code changes & the error 70001 at Apple Support Discussions:

- If you have 1 change left, you need to insert a movie that it authorized for the target region only. This makes it sometimes difficult to "use" the last allowed change.

I also found the following slice of trivia:

DVDs are typically set to play in one of 8 "regions" of the world (actually only 6 real "regions", but they have two more: 7: "Reserved for future use" and 8: "International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc").

You might find the following info worth a read:

Get Around That Pesky DVD Region Code Nonsense

Back