DVD-R Media Choices; What do you use?

Yeeeeeeha

Registered
I'm needing to buy several hundred DVD-R disks for data archival purposes (not burning consumer player DVD's) and I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on price per unit, Brand of media and flavor of DVD-R media that will work with the SuperDrive (DVR-103?)

Obviously Apple has media for 29.95 in 5 packs. this appears to be the Pioneer DVS-R470SDD50 (50 pak) media. In a 50 pak it's 10$ per disk. ouch.

I've seen Taiyo Yuden General Purpose media for sale. Is this stuff crap or good? Has anyone tested media other than Pioneer manufactured with good success?

Has anyone found a better deal than apple.com?

Thanks in advance!

-Y

I'm assuming that the DVD-R media follows the same suit as CD-R, and CD-RW media.

Try them all out. A ten pack is a great idea. Buy one of each manufacturer you can get your hands on, and try them all.

Is this for purposes of frivolous shopping sprees? No, actually each brand burner may or may not work better or worse with different brands of media. Try different kinds, and when you get a brand that doesn't turn your hard earned money into coasters, then stick with 'em.

This used to apply to floppy disks. (Both 5 1/4", and 3 1/2")

Watch out that you get the correct kind of DVDs for your burner. If you have a SuperDrive, you'll need DVD-Rs I believe. There's also DVD-RWs, DVD+RWs, and DVD-RAMs.

As a side note, I think it sucks how companies are making so many different DVD formats. I hope there will be a drive that will support all available formats.

Originally posted by simX
Watch out that you get the correct kind of DVDs for your burner. If you have a SuperDrive, you'll need DVD-Rs I believe. There's also DVD-RWs, DVD+RWs, and DVD-RAMs.

As a side note, I think it sucks how companies are making so many different DVD formats. I hope there will be a drive that will support all available formats.

Apple never actually told anyone, but if you DO have the SuperDrive, then you have a DVD-RW. Yes rewrite DVD's. The reason they don't tell you is:

iDVD doesn't support DVD-RWs
Next to no DVD Hi-Fi Separate units can read DVD-RW
Not many DVD-ROM drives can read DVD-RW discs. Pioneers are very good at it though.

With all of these reasons, DVD-RW burning isn't built into the OS. But if you use the prerelease of Toast or even buy, all is well and you can rewrite dvd's to your heart's content. Very handy for mass backup.

First, Thank you to all replies!

Second, DVD-RW with the superdrive is something I had never heard about before. Being a bit of a "need to see it for myself" kind of guy I don't doubt you but I'm wondering how reliable it really is? Especially if Apple hasn't touted it as a feature. In any event I plan on trying it out very soon!! Thanks for the tip.

I'm still looking for feedback on if anyone has tried "discout" "no name" DVD-R's and what their success rate is. I guess If I don't hear I'll just have to try some out for myself.

Again, Thanks a lot!

-Y

Back