DVD R Problem

cablewriter

Registered
I have a Cube 460 with 576memory, a 20gig internal drive, a 260 external firewire hd and a brand new Lacie D2 DVD +-RW Double Layer 16X with Lightscribe writer. I say brand new, it is reconditioned from Lacie and arrived Saturday by FedX.

I installed all the software and updated IDVD (05) online. I took the wedding video I had and made a great IMovie HD and then moved it to IDVD. After adding everything I wanted and testing the item several times, I had a DVD movie worthy of being on someone's tv (namely my friends the bride and groom).

I used Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R disk first. Worked great and I was even able to flip the disk over and make a wonder LightScribe cover. Then comes the hard part. The DVD won't play in my internal DVD, my Sony DVD, or even my daughter's newer Disney DVD. It plays a little in the new Lacie, but then comes up with an error "-36" and says there may be dirt or dust on the disk.

I used two more of the Verbatim disk then moved to a DVD -R disk from Maxell and a DVD +R from Memorex. Once made some of these disk would play the introduction (menu are of the DVD), but would stop when I changed to scenes and again give me the "-36" code. None of them would even hint at playing in any other drive.

I have contacted Lacie through their Customer Service Form, but I have not heard back from them. I also have their telephone number ready. The only thing I have done to try something else, is connected the DVD directly to the firewire (I had it running behind the hard drive first), but that made no difference in the disk.

Any ideas before I ship this thing back to them?

Thanks

hmm.."that's a dilly of a pickle" (© ned flanders).

Seems like you've done a pretty thorough job at testing all the possibilities. I have a couple of suggestions to futher eliminate possible causes.

Have you tried playing the DVD video files from the hard disk, rather than a DVD disc. Perhaps there is an error in the iDVD menu, like a corrupt asset (a doubt it, though).

Anyway, to test this, instead of burning a disk in iDVD, go to File > Save as Disk Image (working off memory here, may not be in file, but i think it is).

Save it as the disk image, then mount that image on your Mac using Toast or Disk Utility and try and play it through DVD Player.

Try lowering the speed at which you burn the DVD to 2x. I'm not sure if iDVD allows you to alter the burn speed (check in preferences maybe?), but if it doesn't, you can always instead save the project as a disk image again and use Toast or Disk Utility to burn it to disk (toast and disk utility DO allow you to specify a speed).

That's the extent of my knowledge. there are smarter people than I on these forums that might give you some better suggestions.

:)

dispite what we have been told lightscribe will, in some cases do a sort of "over light scribe" kindof thing. the laser etching of the image on the flip side very well may be overburning in some places.
not ready for prime time I think.
try burning a non-lightscrib DVD and (obviously) dont use the light scrib thing. see what happens.
I have a Lacie d2 and wont touch the light scribe thing. I have a printer that will print on printabe disks. (epson stylus photo R200) works a lot better I think.
"dhuooooo" (homer simpson" ;)
cheers&aloha
matt

Back