DVD-ram data burning

CaptainFoo

Registered
Hi

I have recently installed an internal DVD-ram drive in my G4 Server. Supposedly this is the same drive as Apple's superdrive (Hitachi GF2000). It reads CDs and DVDs perfectly and if I look in Apple System Profiler it sais "Apple Disc Burning: Supported". However if I insert a DVD-R 4.7 GB (general v 2) nothing happens. I haved tried the Toast Beta, but it does not find the drive, neither does Disc Copy (Could not find any suitable drives to burn discs).

Is DVD-data burning at all supported in OSX 1.1? I have not iDVD, i so I cannot test burning movies DVDs.

Any hints of how to get this to work would be very helpful...

Confusion abounds about DVD RAM drives.

They work with DVD ram rewriteable media, which is getting a little scarce, only.

They don't burn CDr or DVDr media. They play DVD's.

That's all they do. They're an -ok- large storage solution- but only if you need more than 600 contiguous megs. Their write-rate is also really, really slow, although this is probably just because I'm always writing so much data to it.

-stephen

I'll try another disc, to see what happens. I'm not too sure that is the problem though, since Toast and Disc Copy does not recognise the drive.

Anyone with the built in superdrive, does it work with Disc Copy? Does it work in Finder?

I repeat- they only work with DVDram media.

DVDram media looks like the old cd-caddy of yore. If you are using a DVD-RAM drive then you'll need these kind of discs in order to 'burn' anything. It basically writes just like a normal disk- just very big and very slow.

DVDr media, AFAIK, looks like a normal DVD/CD, AND WILL NOT BURN IN A DVDRAM DRIVE.
-stephen

Back