DVD region codes x 5?

Lurk, more than half my Region-1 DVDs have extra audio tracks in Spanish or French or both. I don't know what language you need, but those are certainly "not in English".

Are you seeking DVDs that actually have NO English soundtrack at all? Do you need another language? Italian? German? Polish?

Finnish actually. It is basically never an option and I am really most interested in kids stuff... well not me but my kids are ;)

For instance Disney releases DVDs in Finland with both Finnish and the original English tracks but I cannot get those here in the states. I would love to and I would even pay more for them but it is not an option.

-Eric

Gia beat me to it ;)

That'll teach me to start composing a reply and then get distracted midway through ;)

Ask the people who travel to Europe to bring or send those to you. I could probably pass in there in April or July .. maybe, who knows. If I knew what you'd like I could bring ..

Or where are you in the States? Maybe there could be some minor language or emigrants clubs that could help or organize ordering bigger movie or music orders from other countries ... at least in the bigger cities. (So far all my movies are in Italian / Spanish or English / Japanese / French ...)

:p

I didn't know that firmware got around the fuse system, but I still doubt it will be possible for the drive manufacturers to stop firmware uploading since it has real-world use. What if a dealer actually had to reset a drive? How will the drive know the difference between resetted firmware and hacked firmware? (I'm no DVD-guru, so please tell me if it is still possible.)
Anyway, in the meantime, since Giaguara (a mod) hasn't forbidden me posting a link, here's one about DVD firmware: (It's NOT illegal unless you use the revised firmware to pirate movies.)
http://www.opuscc.com/support/dvd/1.shtml

Snowball I think it's worse seeing pirated movies. If I have original DVDs I want to see them on my Mac without having 2 DVD players for 2 regions. I think this DVD stupidity should be more visible for those buying DVD players / Macs etc. ~ I guess most users use only one region coded DVDs though - as I had seen so far nothing about the issue on the boards ever. (damn, that DVD firmware needs classic .. ). :)

This whole thing is ludicrous. We the consumers, acting under our rights as buyers of durable goods like DVD's, should have the right to play any disc, of any type, on any supported drive, as many times as we want, as long as we are viewing or listening to a medium legally purchased within our local jurisdictions. Just because some people perform sublegal (not necessarily illegal) actions does not mean the recording industry or the movie industry have the right to dictate what we can watch, on what we can watch, and how often we can watch it.
Originally posted by lurk
Now if you want to get upset about a national law in this situation the DMCA and its European brethren say that it is illegal for you as a consumer to try to do anything to fix the situation.
This is simply absurd. What gives the DMCA the right to arrest us for voicing our opinions on something we pay them for? If I ever run into problems related to this, I am going to fight as much as I can.

This whole situation just goes to show some of the fallacies of capitalism.

One of the reason they impose it in Switzerland is to protect "official" imports.

Well, it all comes down to whether you really even want to watch a DVD on a computer, when you can get an all-region player for around $200 and watch it in the comfort of your living room. I'll take that over watching a jaggy image on a small computer screen any day.

Snowball, thanks for the link, but for us suckers who have no choice but to boot into OS X, it doesn't help much =)

Originally posted by tonbo
Well, it all comes down to whether you really even want to watch a DVD on a computer, when you can get an all-region player for around $200 and watch it in the comfort of your living room. I'll take that over watching a jaggy image on a small computer screen any day.

I don't want a separate DVD or CD player. I want to be mobile SO I want to use my Mac...

:p

Yeah, a DVD player is for sitting at home and watching a movie, preferrably with others close to you, some tasty treats, and a kick-ass surround sound system, while DVD on the computer is for watching movies on the go with a laptop or simply watching a movie on your computer. (It's good for watching stuff late at night when everyone else's in bed.)

G: Where exactly are you? I don't think I've ever been able to decipher it (or maybe I'm not paying enough attention... :)).

Originally posted by arden
G: Where exactly are you? I don't think I've ever been able to decipher it (or maybe I'm not paying enough attention... :)).

Forgeddaboutit! :)
Unless you get some private IM with G., you ain't going to find out. The few of us here who know can't tell you, she'll edit our posts. (Darned Super-mod! ;) She'll probably edit this one anyway :p)

--Yea, right... G. ;)-

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread I have been real busy and not able to check in :(

Gia: Thanks for the offer to help with the importing situation but I have that covered (Grandparents are a good thing ;)). I also choose to take the VCR road several years ago for the kids' stuff so that I would not have to deal with the region junk.

Tonbo: That depends on where you live. All region free players are just traditional players that have had some of the chips replaced after the fact. Now in Australia that is an option, in the US it is a felony, and in Europe things are moving /have moved to the felony situation.

Also be very careful about what you are getting since some of the "eBay imports" are really a scam. They sell region free DVD players which are just DVD players set to region 0 (no region) and they can only play non-region locked disks. Those are legal in the US although not terribly useful.

snowball: If it is the firmware that checks the fuse situation then a firmware hack can circumvent it. Not all systems use that approach so it doesn't always work. I agree with you that limiting the number of times the firmware can be flashed is not a good option from a business perspective. The problem is that this is a process driven by lawyers, if it becomes too easy to flash the firmware to circumvent region codes then the company opens themselves up to a lawsuit from the DVD consortium. Placing a lock on the number of time the firmware can be upgraded is a valid stopgap approach to save a product line which would otherwise have to be discontinued for contractual reasons.

arden: The DMCA doesn't say that you cannot complain about the situation, it just says you cannot do anything about it. As a parallel lets assume that you lost the key to the padlock on your luggage. With the digital equivalent you cannot try to pick the lock, I cannot pick the lock for you, I cannot tell you how to go about picking the lock, you cannot take a flashlight and try to peek inside the lock to figure out how to pick it, you cannot legally cut the lock off.

In the interest of protecting your freedom though you can compain as much as you want.:rolleyes:

Must... stop... ranting...

Have fun all!
-Eric

Back