DVD Rom and firewire burner, both not recognizing discs

theyallfalll

Registered
I have a G4 dual 450 with Dvd rom and a firewire cd burner, when i put a cd in either the computer doesnt recognize either one. I have to restart to ject the cd.
Any suggestions would be great. Also Computer will not recognize IPOD either. I ran fix permissions the other day and cant remeber if it worked after that or not. Any suggestions would be great on how to fix. thanks

well, since a lot of kernel panics are caused by hardware and you're having hardware problems, it seems logical to connect these. have you tried withonly one device plugged in at a time? it's possible that they are using a similar chip and thus confusing the system. i occasionally have to unplug one of my firewire drives to get it to recognize either of them. then i can plug it back in and they both work. that's my best guess with the info you've provided. the more yu can tell us, the better your chances of getting a good answer.

Should i do a soft install of the os to fix problem. I turned the burner off and the DVD rom still doesnt work nor does the Ipod. I also used disk warrior and rebuilt the HD and that didnt work either.

let me know of any sugestions

thanks

generally reinstalling the system doesn't cure a kernel panic as they are more hardware related than software. if you have installed any 3rd party ram, try removing it and see. the only thing is that panics really can occur once or twice and then be gone. or there might be a very concrete and identifiable reason for them. it's hard to say except over time. one or 2 panics is not cause for alarm. one or two a week and you should probalby start checking stuff. one or 2 day and there is a definite problem somewhere.

Turning off the DVD burner and iPod will not help in determining the problem. You have to physically disconnect them from your machine. that is if the are external.

What have you installed right before the problem started? Any new or different equipment connected to the machine? Like new speakers, keyboard?
When you got the machine, it should have come with a Hardware Test CD. Use that to see what the problem is.

Ok, my Combo drive on my PowerBook refuses to mount video-dvd?s. CDs and data-DVD works though...

I created a new user and everything works, but i want to use my original set up. Is there a way to delete all accounts and start from scratch with out re-install of OS. I know in os 9 you could boot from the CD and delete the user prefs and that would reset everything. Does it work the same here. I tryed repairing permissions but that didnt help.

thanks

Hey, that fixed my problem too! :eek:

Guess my question is the same as theyallfall then...
How to "reset" the users?

Back