Akira

Registered
I have a new G4 dual 1GHz PowerMac and have been trying to burn a
DVD-RW disk. Everyone says you can do it with the Apple SuperDrive
but so far, no luck!

The computer will just not reconize the DVD-RW disk, I am using ones from
Memorex. I put them in and the computer will grind for a few minutes
and it spits them back out. I even bought a copy of Toast 5 Titanium to
try as I heard it would burn them. No such luck.

I called Apple Support this morning and at first the guy said it would
work and had me try a few things without any luck. He then went off
to consult with someone else and came back and said "Sorry I can't
help you with this as its unsupported on the SuperDrive, thanks for
calling, BYE.

Any ideas?????

I believe the superdrive will only support DVD-R

I've got a superdrive too I haven't tried burning any DVD's but

why don't u try to burn on the DVD-R that your sistem came with

The Apple provided software does not support DVD-RW. However the drive used in the iMac G4 800 SuperDrive is a Pioneer A04 DVD burner and it DOES SUPPORT DVD-RW media!

Discribe5 supports a variety of usefull things like DVD video to CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW if the space is there for the source files.

It also allows for DVD-R disc copies, of files that you produced with the Apple iDVD program. It won't copy commerical DVD, but you can move/extract the DVD files to the HD with other utilities and then use the software to burn them back to a DVD-R disc.

Check out the 5 BURN demo app at http:\\www.charismac.com

I use Verbatim DVD-RW with Toast 5 Titanium, it works just fine with iMac G4 800 SuperDrive.

Hey all,

We just purchased a 700 mhz iMac with the superdrive, running OS X. I can't get the damn thing to burn a Memorex DVD+R disk. We have tried the built in burn program and also toast... no luck...it just spits the disk back out.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacDoobie

UPDATE: Just found out it just has the combo drive (DC-ROM/CD-RW). Damn it. We wanted the superdrive so we could backup customer files.

Originally posted by MacDoobie
Hey all,

We just purchased a 700 mhz iMac with the superdrive, running OS X. I can't get the damn thing to burn a Memorex DVD+R disk. We have tried the built in burn program and also toast... no luck...it just spits the disk back out.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacDoobie

UPDATE: Just found out it just has the combo drive (DC-ROM/CD-RW). Damn it. We wanted the superdrive so we could backup customer files.

Information for you all:

To start with, MacDoobie even if you did have a SuperDrive you can only use DVD-R or DVD-RW discs, not DVD+R and DVD+RW.

Secondly if you have the first ever SuperDrive and you're running a recent version of OS X, the built in apps can do DVD-RW burning, I do it!!!

If you put a blank DVD-RW into the drive the finder will see it just as if it was a DVD-R. Then you just copy your work to it. If by any chance the MAc doesn't recognize your disc, it's either a bad disc or a crappy make. Pioneer media works best, I use Verbatim DVD-Rs and they only cost me £1 for the disc and DVD-Video Sleeve Box! Cheap eh?

www.svpcommunications.com

To erase your DVD-RW after burning. Run your Disk Utility app in your Utilities folder. Then select the Pioneer Drive (NOT the media icon) and one of the panes is Erase. Just click on erase. It's best not to do a quick erase, but a full erase takes 45mins!

Happy burning!

Extra Info: to get the maximum speed out of your SuperDrive use Pioneer Discs. i am yet to find discs that can go at 2x. My Verbatims only go 1x. which is a bit slow, but who cares!? I've been making DVD's baby!

Back