DVD "Shallow Hal" does not play in G4 cube

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
I have watched dozens of DVDs on my G4 cube. I've never had any problems until now. The DVD "Shallow Hal" does not play in my G4 cube, I tried three different copies, rented from Bl--kbuster.
I have watched other, older DVD movies with out a problem since the "Shallow Hal" probelm, so it's not a malfunction of the drive.

The DVD drive won't even read the "Shallow Hal" DVD disk. The drive just churns making a sick sound for about ten seconds and then spits the DVD disk back out.

Does this mean my DVD drive is obsolete?

Test this movie in your Mac DVD drive ASAP. If you are thinking about buying a Mac and you care at all about watching DVDs on it, test this movie on the machine before you buy the computer.

Any one else have success or failure with this DVD movie on their Mac?

Have you tried the DVDs themselves on any other players? Also is it possible to use a lens cleaner in a slot loading veritcal drive such as in the cube? That may help possibly.

Also you didn' menino what OS you're using. Make sure you're in OS X with all the lastets updates. Those Disc REcording ones are essential ofr DVDs too IIRC, they update the DVD frameworks along with many cd-r/rw ones.

It works with my iBook 2002. I don't know why the Cube would read every disc but Shallow Hal.I don't think it's the lense.

Not familair with the exact models in the ibook vs. the cube. Truthfully I wouldn't be suprised if they are the same as I thought both were laptop models to deal with the space constraints of both form facotrs.

Eh, unles anybody else cna help you you may be on your own. I'd advise trying the Apple Support Discussions they're usually pretty helpful for stuff along these lines.

Back